The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Medals awarded from unknown service

AlisonT

Dear Forum members,

I appreciate this is almost certainly not a WW1 query, but have found the people on here so helpful and knowledgeable in the past, when I have had genuine WW1 questions. Attached is a photo of possibly my Great grandfather Joe Allen Burhouse born 1858, died 1938 or his brother James William Burhouse b1850 died 1923 or a complete mystery stranger whose photo has been passed down through the generations. I have researched both of these brothers thoroughly but cannot find any evidence of military service for either of them. They were both elderly when they fathered their children, James William's 3 sons fought for the British in WW1 (despite being born in Germany) and Joe Allen's 3 sons fought for the British in WW2.

What I would like to ask, is, can anyone identify the medals he is wearing in this picture, or somehow date the photograph, given his attire, or point me in the direction of someone who could.

One of James William's sons died at Lamsdorf prisoner of war camp 5 days before armistice day, could he be wearing his son's medals in the picture? Is that a thing someone would do?

Thank you

Joe Allen or James Burhouse.jpg

• Admin

I’d say they were medals awarded for the Boer War. The King and Queens South Africa medals with claps. I’ll await the experts to confirm, then if I’m right, will have to lock as off topic. 

1 hour ago, AlisonT said:

...What I would like to ask, is, can anyone identify the medals he is wearing in this picture...

Joe Allen or James Burhouse.jpg

As noted above - they are the standard pair for the Boer War, ie the QSA (with two clasps) and the KSA (with three clasps) - something similar to:

Boer War Pair awarded to Corporal C.J. Kayes | Baldwin's

• Michelle Young locked this topic