The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

ID of the Blue Flash

Glengarry1950

Hello Poona guard

I was thinking that the inverted triangle may have something to do with the occupation Army post war, but the found that the 1/5th KOSB moved to the Lowland Div. I also think that having two different patches in such a short period of time, June 1918 (when it joined 34 Div) and Nov 1918 is rather strange?

Can I also say that I am looking forward to your new book, which should hopefully  answer many questions such as this.

William

At the moment I can't answer this one but am thinking about it.

Not knowing any better I would also have assumed the chequerboard was the division badge and the blue flash a brigade/battalion marking such as used in the 51st (Highland) Division:

Edited by Open Bolt

Hello there

I've been doing some more digging and have found some more info on the 34th div patches.

On this old thread is a letter from the 34 Div CO detaing the patches to be worn, dated 1st July 1918. The vertical rectangle patches and div sign are mentioned for 103 brigade, inc 1/5th KOSB. 34 Division but what unit? Possibly Suffolk? - Uniforms,Cap Badges and Insignia - The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

From the AMOT I've found the text form the Haswell Miller plate I posted earlier. In it he mentioned that the three units fom 52 Div, inc the 1/5 KOSB, joined 34 Div on 27/6/18 and left 15/3/19, so dateing the OPs tunic to these dates. AMOT999_WW1_AEHM.HIGHLAND.INFANTRY.2_0024 | The Ogilby Muster

As for the inverted triangle patch , I've not been able to find any more mention of it online, perhaps it was worn by the 1/5ths HQ Coy?.

William

22 minutes ago, caladonia said:

Hello there

I've been doing some more digging and have found some more info on the 34th div patches.

On this old thread is a letter from the 34 Div CO detaing the patches to be worn, dated 1st July 1918. The vertical rectangle patches and div sign are mentioned for 103 brigade, inc 1/5th KOSB. 34 Division but what unit? Possibly Suffolk? - Uniforms,Cap Badges and Insignia - The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

From the AMOT I've found the text form the Haswell Miller plate I posted earlier. In it he mentioned that the three units fom 52 Div, inc the 1/5 KOSB, joined 34 Div on 27/6/18 and left 15/3/19, so dateing the OPs tunic to these dates. AMOT999_WW1_AEHM.HIGHLAND.INFANTRY.2_0024 | The Ogilby Muster

As for the inverted triangle patch , I've not been able to find any more mention of it online, perhaps it was worn by the 1/5ths HQ Coy?.

William

Good work William.  Haswell Miller was a very meticulous recorder of detail and so is a particularly reliable source for such details.

Posted (edited)

Gentlemen,

This letter dated 1st July 1918 is gold dust and confirms the right Divisional Flash and 103 Brigade Flash for 1/5th KOSB are correct to the jacked we hold belonging to Pte Robert Bruce that was handed into us by his family.

This raised the question about the KOSB officers service jacked that Murat illustrated in this Thread with the Blue Triangle, but interestingly no Divisional Patch. Caladonia suggested that it could be 1/5th HQ Coy? However, why would one Company wear a completely different sign from the rest of the Battalion and once again there is no Divisional sign on this jacket, this makes me believe it is a jacket from a different time, as the only thing KOSB is the Collar Badges, and Buttons, unless there is a name inside the jacket or any dates then I could research his time in the Regiment, out with that it is hard to attached providence to this jacked, of it belonging to an Officer of the KOSB in 34th Division 103 Brigade WW1

Aye

Hiram

Edited by Glengarry1950

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/06/2024 at 19:27, Glengarry1950 said:

Hi Poona guard,

Not a problem, the next time I am down at the museum, that will be in a few days, but definitely on the 24th of this month, I will take a few shots of the jacket and various bits in close up for your book, I completed my third book on the Regiment the last one was just for the Regimental Museum titled 'Cap Badges and Insignia of the King's Own Scottish Borderers and Associated Volunteer and Militia Units from 1689 until 2006 From the Regimental Museum Collection and others' ,bit of a long title I know, but I also took all the photographs and wrote it up, with lots of historical photos and interesting Appendix's.

Aye

Hiram  

Hi Poona,

Here as promised are a selection of close-up photographs from Pte Robert Bruce 2nd Bn KOSB later 1/5th Bn KOSB WW1 Jacket, the second photograph was when the jacket was on display in the old museum, prior to the whole collection being packed up in anticipation of the museum's refurbishment, Robert he was wounded three times and after further research he was definitely not a piper, the jacked his medals cap badge along with his TOS and lot of photographs and documents were hand into the museum by his family a few years ago but not accurately documented into the collection, it has now.

I hope this is of some assistance if you need additional assistance for your book just ask.

Aye

Hiram

Pte Robert Bruce WW1 2nd Bn 3.jpg

Pte Robert Bruce WW1 2nd Bn.jpg

Pte Robert Bruce WW1 2nd Bn 2.jpg

Pte Robert Bruce WW1 2nd Bn 1.jpg

Interesting to see an example of the circa 1916 slide-on cloth shoulder titles after they were ordered to be stitched to the strap. 

Hi Frogsmile,

I thought that also and the jacket is well worn with his name on the inside, so he was attached to it and wore it throughout, also interesting there are no holes to show if he ever wore the 1st/5th Shoulder titles. However, having originally starting out in the 2nd Bn and as an 'Old Contemptable' he was more than likely keeping his original dress on returning for service after recovering from wounds, one of which was in the head.

6 minutes ago, Glengarry1950 said:

he was more than likely keeping his original dress on returning for service after recovering from wounds, one of which was in the head.

Yes, I too think that’s likely Hiram 👍

Edited by FROGSMILE

Your most welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Poona Guard,

I thought that you might be interested in this jacket photograph for your book, Susan our museum archivist and interpretations lady is putting together a display of some interesting items in the old officer mess building while the KOSB Regimental Museum is closed for the refurbishment, due to reopen in spring 2027, do not hold your breath, because of the infamous construction word 'slippage' so its anytime after thatB)

Cheers

Hiram

2nd Volunteer Bn KOSB post 1868.jpg