The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

What caused bilateral Otitis media in WW1?

Justdamp

Hello, 

Not sure this is the correct topic but here goes

I have a ww1 wound badge and online photos of some details relating to his discharge and I have some questions if that's ok. 

This Scots Guard Soilder was discharged with bilateral Otitis media. 

1. What could have caused the above condition in WW1? 

2. Would it have been curable then? 

3.the date of incident relating to the entitlement to wear a wound stripe is 8/11/1917 the discharge date is 20/4/1918. So is the infection the result of obtaining the wound badge? Or possibly a separate issue.... 

I would like to know how he qualified for the wound badge. 

I can try and download and attach photos of the docs I have when I get some time if that helps. 

Thanks in advance 

Damian 

Hi. Damian

Otitis media usually a bacterial infection with infection building up deep to the ear drum.  Increased risk from recurrent throat and sinus infection from being chronically wet and cold in the trenches etc.  However, Official Med History of the War, Surgery vol II does refer to a series of just under 400 cases of traumatic injury as the underlying cause.  Sudden pressure changes can lead to drum perforation so perhaps exposure to artillery.  Curable/manageable  by a small incision and /or insertion of a small tube which was first used as far back as late 17th century.  The relationship of a ruptured drum to subsequent OM is probably from how the drum scars post-trauma as a permanently "open" drum allows drainage of fluid.  Its the fluid buildup that allows the infection to set in.

Andrew 

Edited by aconnolly

You've mentioned a Wound Stripe and a Wound Badge, is the latter a Silver War Badge?

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/how-to-research-a-soldier/campaign-medal-records/records-of-the-silver-war-badge/

If the man had a Wound Stripe this would have nothing to do with an ailment such as you describe.

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/how-to-research-a-soldier/tips-for-interpreting-photographs-of-men-in-uniform/whats-that-on-his-sleeve-a-wound-stripe/

A name and number always helps. The date of 8/11/1917 may be the date of the incident but I think it's more likely to be the date of publication in the official Casualty Lists which is on average a month later than the incident.

TEW

These are the docs, hopefully they can assist further 

Screenshot_20240612_105734.jpg

Screenshot_20240612_105729.jpg

Screenshot_20240612_105724.jpg

Screenshot_20240612_105720.jpg

Screenshot_20240612_105717.jpg

Screenshot_20240612_123117.jpg

Screenshot_20240612_123114.jpg

I think this is classed as the silver wound badge.... 

• Admin

In line with forum rules please edit your post to acknowledge the sources of the documents you have posted.

I don't know the source, as the badge was purchased on ebay and these photos are from the ad. They should shed some light on the person's service etc. 

2 hours ago, TEW said:

You've mentioned a Wound Stripe and a Wound Badge, is the latter a Silver War Badge?

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/how-to-research-a-soldier/campaign-medal-records/records-of-the-silver-war-badge/

If the man had a Wound Stripe this would have nothing to do with an ailment such as you describe.

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/how-to-research-a-soldier/tips-for-interpreting-photographs-of-men-in-uniform/whats-that-on-his-sleeve-a-wound-stripe/

A name and number always helps. The date of 8/11/1917 may be the date of the incident but I think it's more likely to be the date of publication in the official Casualty Lists which is on average a month later than the incident.

TEW

2 minutes ago, DavidOwen said:

In line with forum rules please edit your post to acknowledge the sources of the documents you have posted.

The 8/11/1917 is the date of the Daily List of the official Casualty List. This meets the criteria for a Wound Stripe.

As a general rule the actual wound incident would be 3-4 weeks before that date. Checking the battalion war diary may give an indication of a likely event. Very unlikely but not impossible he gets a mention in the diary.

His medal roll only shows 1st Scots Guards.

The Silver War Badge is for his discharge in 1918 due to the ear ailment.

The two things are more than likely completely unrelated. Although we have nothing that details his 1917 wound.

TEW

Posted (edited)

Thank you for all the info much appreciated. So his ear issue is related to either, general life in the trenches or possibly artillery explosions....

You wouldn't think an ear infection would be so serious to get a discharge though. 

Just one more thing if anyone knows, based on the info I have, where could I find out what year he died? 

Thanks

Edited by Justdamp
Missed info

https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ would be the most likely source, although you'd have to work with two potential years of birth, depending on whether his 1918 birthday was before or after 20 April.

That is, of course, if he died in Scotland. If he died in another part of the UK, FreeBMD is probably best. Unfortunately I don't suppose it's an uncommon name.

Agree unlikley to be related but theoretically he could have suffered a drum injury from a blast and this was then related to his SWB?  

Andrew

Edited by aconnolly