The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Researching James Woods, Royal Field Artillery

RPB8575

I’m researching my great grandfather James Woods : he served in the RFA and what I know so far is that he signed attestation in Bolton, Lancs on 14th Jan 1915 and left in 1919 , I have a couple of photos from his training and the photo from Salonique in 1918. I thought I had located his medal record and regt number but was wrong!

Any help whatsoever appreciated. He is the far left of the back row in the Salonique photo and I’d love to know more about the kit he was wearing / carrying (he’s also far left on the field gun photo). I’m keen to be able to find out more about the route he followed through the war. 

IMG_4147.jpeg

IMG_4146.jpeg

IMG_4142.jpeg

@RPB8575 -- if you could give some details about James, i.e. date of birth or year of birth, where born, residence during WW1 era -- all assists in trying to find him.

Thanks - Yes he was born in Bolton 7th June 1891 and resided in Bolton throughout his life working in the cotton mill post war, married Sarah Jane Woods in March 1914 (when she was pregnant with my grandmother…). 

The Salonika photo appears to contain a number of nationalities. The photo with the gun I suspect was taken during training. It may be possible to narrow down the date as the only N.C.O. on the picture  wears a Lance Corporals stripe on one arm only which I’d imagine would have a relevant army order and date attached to it. The camp photo could be one of many camps though it was taken between Autumn and Spring (no leaves). It’s also taken early on as tented billets are evident and the replacement huts are still under construction.

Simon

The camp looks like it could be Knook Camp just south east of Warminster?

Google:

IMG_0365.jpeg

Mancpal that sounds likely as he wrote this on th back of that postcard 

IMG_4148.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Jrmh said:

The camp looks like it could be Knook Camp just south east of Warminster?

Knook Camp was certainly " a hole of a place" in the 80's. 

27 minutes ago, mancpal said:

The photo with the gun I suspect was taken during training.

The gun is certainly obsolete and would be used for training purposes.   

8 minutes ago, ianjonesncl said:

Knook Camp was certainly " a hole of a place" in the 80's. 

The gun is certainly obsolete and would be used for training purposes.   

I remember my grandmother saying that his ‘job’ in the army was as a wheelwright as he was a joiner before the war.

Welcome to the Forum,

The only RFA unit to train at Mere was 115th Brigade RFA and they were there from December 1914 to May 1915. Their next destination was Corton - presumably Knook Camp. They landed in France on September 20, 1915 (Though MIC may be a day either side). The brigade moved with 26th Division to Salonika in December 1915/January 1916. It all seems to fit.

He did not join the Bolton Artillery, 3 East Lancs Brigade RFA T, but here he is in the Bolton Evening News 15/01/1915. Rally to the Flag named the recruits at the Town Hall the previous day.

British Newspaper Library via FMP

Brian

Bolton_Evening_News_15_January_1915_0003.jpg

2 minutes ago, brianmorris547 said:

He did not join the Bolton Artillery, 3 East Lancs Brigade RFA T, but here he is in the Bolton Evening News 15/01/1915. Rally to the Flag named the recruits at the Town Hall the previous day.

Brian

That’s amazing Brian; thank you. 

8 minutes ago, David Porter said:

Welcome to the Forum,

The only RFA unit to train at Mere was 115th Brigade RFA and they were there from December 1914 to May 1915. Their next destination was Corton - presumably Knook Camp. They landed in France on September 20, 1915 (Though MIC may be a day either side). The brigade moved with 26th Division to Salonika in December 1915/January 1916. It all seems to fit.

Thank you David, I’ll do some research on the 26th Division

1 hour ago, brianmorris547 said:

Brian

If thats the address of James Woods then his service record survives. Service number 75607.

Attested 14/1/15 as stated earlier.

Served 115 Bde RFA as indicated by David.

Edited by charlie962

Thanks Charlie, no further proof needed.

8 hours ago, charlie962 said:

Courtesy Findmypast 

gbm_wo363-4_007318850_00660.jpg.bcf5d1afe2fe2eddcd48db3308fb5355.jpg

Thanks for locating that, its definitely his. 

I always like to look at the Service Records of Soldiers from Bolton. I note the 1917 and 1918 letters from his wife Jane to enquire as to his whereabouts, because she had not heard from him. She gives her address as 10 Foundry St, Bridgeman St. Both Nine House Lane and Foundry St are long gone but I know where they were if you are interested. I can post some old maps.

Brian

2 hours ago, brianmorris547 said:

I always like to look at the Service Records of Soldiers from Bolton. I note the 1917 and 1918 letters from his wife Jane to enquire as to his whereabouts, because she had not heard from him. She gives her address as 10 Foundry St, Bridgeman St. Both Nine House Lane and Foundry St are long gone but I know where they were if you are interested. I can post some old maps.

That’s fascinating; thank you I had no idea about the lack of contact and letters. My grandmother was born in Foundry St, I believe it was Great Lever area 

This 1908 map, courtesy National Library of Scotland, shows Foundry St.

Zoom in to Trinity St Railway Station bottom centre and you will see Bridgeman St going West past the Soho Iron Works. Foundry St is on the left off Bridgeman St before the Iron Works. Trinity St Station and Bridgeman St are as they were, sort of. Nine House Lane was further out of town, I will post another 1908 map. 

Brian

https://maps.nls.uk/view/101102900

This other 1908 map, courtesy National Library of Scotland, shows Nine House Lane (It goes directly underneath the first map).

Zoom in top left and you will see Bridgeman St and where it crosses High St. At the junction of High St and Lever St there is a recreation ground (still there). You will see Grecian Mill and just below that is Nine House Lane. High St and Lever St are as they were,

Brian

https://maps.nls.uk/view/101103275