The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

James Patrick Cummins - Service number 27775, Wiltshire Regiment, Pension Record.

MRyan1994

Hello All,

Firstly, I hope I have posted this topic in the correct section - I am very new to this forum. Also, I was advised to post my query to this forum, so my apologies if my query is not appropriate for this forum/section.

I would be very grateful for any guidance on how to work out when James Patrick Cummins (born 1899, Dublin) might have died based on his pension record, attached. The stamp 'Dead' is unfortunately not dated, and I cannot find a death record for him. He either died in Ireland or England, but I am not sure how I will go about getting this information. There is an England & Wales, National Probate Calendar record for a James Patrick Cummins who died on 17th June 1979 in Dublin (probate registry: London) who may be the same person, but the GRO index unfortunately doesn't include entries for the year 1979. 

Many thanks for any help you can offer.

Kind regards,

Matt

Cummins, James Patrick (27775) (2).jpg

• Admin

Welcome to the forum

The stamp "Dead" means the pension claim is closed (dead) not the man.

• Admin

Welcome to the GWF

'Dead' in this context means the claim is 'dead' not the claimant.

He previously served with he 1st Battalion Royal Irish Fusiliers 29488 and was discharged from the 6th Wiltshire Battalion to the Class Z Reserve 24.2.1919

His service record has not, apparently, survived

Near number sampling actually indicates Mobilisation  February 1918 to a Garrison Battalion of the RIF and the Roll should probably read 1st Garrison Battalion and he in all probability was posted to the reconstituted 6th Wiltshire Battalion in 1918.

If new to researching soldiers of the Great War we recommend studying the Long Long Trail website (link top left)

Thank you, that's very helpful.

The purpose of me trying to track his war journey is to piece together more parts of his life and ultimately confirm whether he was a biological great grandfather. I hope the long long trail website will give me enough information to learn whether he married, where he resided following the war etc.

Kind regards,

Matt

Attached are the other WWI records that I managed to find for him.

Screenshot_20240614-130852.png

Screenshot_20240614-130606.png

That's correct, yes those records are for the same James Cummins, but unfortunately aside from his birth record, 1901/11 census records and WWI records, there's absolutely nothing else I can find for him.

My grandfather and his brother were born in Dublin in 1930 and 1938 respectively, which would suggest he lived in Dublin around that time. But with James Cummins likely being the unexpected biological father, there will be no records to tie my grandfather and brother to him.

Kind regards,

Matt

• Admin

As per forum rules, please acknowledge image sources and note the 5% rule. Thank you.

Fair Dealing. 

The 1988 Act provides exemptions under "Acts Permitted in Relation to Copyright Works"  that allows Copyright material to be reproduced. These exemptions largely allow GWF members to post Copyright material under certain strict criteria of "Fair Dealing". For the purposes of posting Copyright material on GWF the following criteria must be met ;

Non commercial

For research or private study or criticism or review

Not more than is required and not more than 5% of any work by page count, word count or image count

The source is acknowledged.

Members should acknowledge sources when quoting or using material from external sources otherwise these items may be removed without notice. 

To protect the GWF posts  that do not respect these rules  may be edited or removed at any time, as may content that is asserted to be posted in breach of copyright. 

The owners of this Forum retain copyright in the overall compilation of the Forum and have an implicit licence to use your message as part of the Forum by virtue of that implicit licence. Specifically, the design of this Forum including but not limited to domains, URL's, titles, logos and other images, category descriptions, html skins and other features is the property of the owners of the Great War Forum.

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/06/2024 at 13:11, MRyan1994 said:

Screenshot_20240614-130852.png

See the reverse ... Pension came to an end with a Article 1 (3) Weely Allowance Final award to 22/2/21 - nothing indicating that the man had died [The DEAD stamp has already been explained as the claim ending and not neccessarily the man dying]

M

Edited by Matlock1418