The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Lieut Sampson Donald Stevenson

topdeer

I am looking for information on Lieut Sampson Donald Stevenson 2nd/5th Battalion Hampshire Regiment he was wound but I can't find any war records of this.  I believe his father was a Major in the same regiment as him Arthur Lates Stevenson. 

Thank you that great to have 

1 minute ago, topdeer said:

Thank you that great to have 

If you click the link to FindaGrave you will see an image of his death plaque as well as a short bio

That great thank you

Can any one find in as Lieutenant in London gazette as I have only got him to be second Lieutenant on the 3rd April 1915 in the London gazette.

1 hour ago, topdeer said:

Can any one find in as Lieutenant in London gazette as I have only got him to be second Lieutenant on the 3rd April 1915 in the London gazette.

Not directly the London Gazette, but the British Army Monthly for October 1918 shows him on the establishment of the 5th Battalion, Hampshire Regiment, although it doesn't reference him being posted to any particular Battalion. He was a Lieutenant with a seniority of the 1st July 1917 - one of 33 such individuals. (See Column 1239b). https://digital.nls.uk/british-military-lists/archive/103126924

I used some of the more uncommon names to track them down in the Military Notices from the London Gazette that were reprinted in The Times. The relevant edition of The Times was dated November 24th, 1917, and it references that they were all taken from the Supplement to the London Gazette dated November 23rd 1917. (Heads up - The list of names in the notice appears in the order of seniority shown in the Army List, not alphabetical order!)

Hope that helps,
Peter

Hi Peter.

For what I can see is his father's name Major A L Stevenson I'm looking for Lieutenant Sampson Donald Stevenson his son but it all helps thank you

1 hour ago, topdeer said:

For what I can see is his father's name Major A L Stevenson I'm looking for Lieutenant Sampson Donald Stevenson his son but it all helps thank you

I will assume you are not familiar with the layout of the Monthly Lists so you may want to look again in the column number I gave you - Major A.L Stevenson is in Column 1239a and Lieutenant S.D. Stevenson is in Column 1239b under Lieutenants - in the large part of the column with seniority of the 1st July 1917 and listed between Warren H.F. (Special Appointment) and Pothecary W.F. (C'mdt of a Comd. Bomd Sch). 16th name from the top of what is the right hand column on the page linked to. Printers mis-strike on the "o" may possibly have caused you to miss it.

The Times report of the military notices from the previous days London Gazette was also in the name of S.D. Stevenson.

In my experience both the Army Lists and The Times can provide a useful alternative if an online search fails of the Gazette directly fails to bring up a match.

Peter

Posted (edited)

Hi Peter,

I apologise my eyes do not do me justice I see them both now thank you  That was a great help Peter thank you.

Edited by topdeer