The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Royal Engineers in France

Please can anyone help me with the following? I am hoping to locate the VLAD Hospital he spent time at convalescing at in Swansea (possibly Sketty around 1917) which is where he met my grandmother. 

I have found him on National Archives under 114202 (attached).

My grandad William Henry Slinn born St Helens in 1898 served with the RFC / Royal Engineers in France. I have recently been shown his diary from 1917 whilst he was serving. 

His diary mentions:

11/4/1917 - Capture by Canadians 13,000 prisoners (not him, he just wrote it in diary)

27/4/1917 - Buried by shell (my grandad) but it also has written on another page wounded 3rd April

1/5/1917 - Transfer to Number 4 General Hospital near Etaples?

30/5/1917 - Escourted by 2 destroyers Calais to Dover - started Camais? 1am

then in another diary written by his father on 20/9/1917 Willie 10 day leave finished, returned to Swansea.

He also enlisted in the Black Watch under S/7776 but he had lied about his age and returned home to St Helens.

Can anyone help please?

image.jpeg.ee61e2873ffc14889aa769034111e114.jpeg

William Henry Slinn Page 103 - UK, Royal Air Force Airmen Records, 1918-1940.jpg

"Started at Camiers". In the base area, where there were hospitals, etc.

If your grandmother was a VAD nurse she may crop up in the National Archives - search under her name plus WO (for War Office files).   https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Another option is to seek her here https://vad.redcross.org.uk/search although I gather there are issues with the search accuracy.

thanks for your replies Ken - do you know where I can get further information on the hospitals at Camiers please?

and Seajane - My grandmother wasn't a nurse, she lived in Sketty, Swansea. Grandad convalesced at one of Lord Swanseas properties (which became a hospital in WW1) where her father worked.

2 hours ago, DenHo said:

grandmother wasn't a nurse

Sorry - I got hold of the wrong end of the stick there.

sJ