The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

ROBERT JAMES WAIN - RASC - Pte. M2/191862

fpawsey

Hello!

If it wasn't for a newspaper article in the Western Chronicle Yeovil 10 May 1918, I would not know that he was awarded the Military Medal for gallantry.

I cannot find any reference to it on the usual ancestral sites, or even just 'googling' it!.

Does anyone have access to information about Robert's WWI service and just what was his act of gallantry?

Any information will be really appreciated.

With thanks,

Fliss

Robert James Wain Western_Chronicle_10_May_1918_0006 MIlitary Medal copy.jpg

Have you checked the London Gazette and the MIC?

All the best,

Gary

Mic just shows entitlement to the BWM and VM meaning no service overseas prior to 1/1/16. No mention of an MM though that certainly doesn’t mean he didn’t earn one.

Simon

He is in the gazette, June 1918….it was easy to find him using his service number only. Sorry, for some obscure reason I can’t copy and paste using iPad😤😤😤.

Dave.

IMG_6273.png

IMG_6272.png

I do appreciate all your help. At least I now have proof he was awarded a MM even if I don't know what for! 

A huge thank you everyone.

Fliss

if he was from Sherborne, a local newspaper might have more details. 

All the best,

Gary

3 hours ago, fpawsey said:

At least I now have proof he was awarded a MM

Further proof -- his MM medal card

(image courtesy of Find My Past)

Wain_MM card.jpg

A good suggestion, Waggoner,, it was this newspaper article that first drew my attention to his MM.

Thank you Allan1892 for the above document.

Robert James Wain Western_Chronicle_10_May_1918_0006 MIlitary Medal copy.jpg

Great find Allan,

5th A. Troops MT Coy., ASC  may refer to the following ASC companies:

385 & 393 (MT) Companies ASC between them served the role of 5th Army Troops at some point in the war, and for another period, so did 393 and 585 (MT) Companies. I'm sorry, but without consulting the war diaries, I can't tell you which time periods. MM winners are often mentioned in the WDs.

Unfortunately, Michael Young's book is ambiguous as to which diary belongs to which company in which timeframe.

You'll have to download them all and see which is relevant

What he writes is in the attached CSV table.

Fifth Army Troops ASC.csv

Posted (edited)

Thank you for this link - fascinating. Despite researching my grandfather's wartime service some time ago, and other family members, learning about the M.T. is something new. It's incredible to read the war diary and to see just how many lorries were involved on any given day, what they carried etc.

I've skimmed through the war diary three times wondering if Pte. R.J. Wain is mentioned but I can't find him. Perhaps that's not surprising as he wasn't a commissioned officer.

I'm now going to go back to the diary and read it in more detail.

With thanks,

Fliss

Edited by fpawsey

If someone with an Ancestry or FMP account could look at near numbers, this will indicate approximately when he attested and when he went overseas. My guess would be around June/July 1916.

A quick look at near numbers finds:

M2/191822  Herbert C West -- Called up 21/6/1916, Posted 25/6/1916

M2/191851 Alfred Hitch -- Attested 12/12/1915, Mobilised 19/6/1916. Posted 25/6/1916

M2/191862 Robert J Wain

M2/191877  Arthur Woolard -- Attested 29/11/1915, Mobilised and Posted 27/6/1916

Thank you for your continuing interest in Robert J. Wain. It's so appreciated.

Fliss

4 hours ago, fpawsey said:

I've skimmed through the war diary three times wondering if Pte. R.J. Wain is mentioned

Oh, that's a shame. At least the diaries will give a location for that time period so at least you can say whete he won his medal. 

Yes, I certainly know far more than I did a day or so ago.  I found a photograph of him on 'ancestry' so its nice to put a face to a name.