The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Armoured Car at Dublin Castle

corisande

I am trying to get a reasonable high resolution version of this photo from an Online source

I believe there is one out there but I cannot unearth it

The photo is of F Coy in Dublin Castle, and I am trying to get better definition on the faces

car.jpg.0c855bede81688f6352b9fc381662501.jpg

@corisande

This is slightly better:

sparrow-rest-of-ugly-mob.jpg.cf3af5c3ea8959b25dcf4db5ca6456fd.jpg

With this as a better view of the left half of the bunch:

Dublin3.jpg.c8ebf8e36dfd00bfb929a4211d331dce.jpg

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Thanks Dai

But its not quite big enough :(

I guess I need a photo about twice that size, so that I can see the mens' faces reasonably sharply and put names to them - I have the names

The photo comes off an original photo that someone somewhere has scanned at high definition

I have tried various institutions web sites but have been unable to find it

If Capain is OC ‘F’ Co. then that has to date the picture to sometime in 1921, or very early (Jan) 1922.

M.

Edited by KizmeRD

These were Auxiliaries, weren't they?

Do the ranks relate to previous service: e.g. S/Leader meaning previous service in the RFC/RAF?

Just now, Michael Pegum said:

Do the ranks relate to previous service: e.g. S/Leader meaning previous service in the RFC/RAF?

No S/Leader is "section leader" in the ADRIC

The photo was taken by the British, but annotated by IRA Intelligence to pick out men in the photo. In fact there are a number of versions of annotations on the same photo, clearly done by different people at different times)

I am comfortable with their details (they were probably put on by J C Reynolds who was selling info to Collins)

Its the higher grade photo I am after to try to get better , less pixelated, views of their faces

19 hours ago, KizmeRD said:

If Capain is OC ‘F’ Co. then that has to date the picture to sometime in 1921, or very early (Jan) 1922.

M.

Between 12 February 1921 and 9 February, 1922, to be precise:

(https://www.theauxiliaries.com/men-alphabetical/men-c/caparn-r/caparn.html)

Although the men are mainly F Coy of Adric, there is interestingly (to me anyway) a fairly rich scattering of Secret Service men who normally keep out of photographs. I could not normally get their photos, and if I can pick them up here, it is easier to see where else they crop up

1 minute ago, Michael Pegum said:

Between 12 February 1921 and 9 February, 1922, to be precise:

I probably should confess that this my site :thumbsup:

That's a very good quality photograph of the photograph that @corisande is seeking.

The reproduction is crisp and well focussed - see the ink annotations, scratches , and blemishes in the paper ledger are in focus.
It seems that the same cannot be said for the original print, a large amount of detail is obscured by the image being out of focus.
That being the case, I doubt that a better copy exists from this negative.

9 hours ago, doyle3 said:

Might be worth contacting the National Museum of Ireland but I suspect it may not give you enough detail

9 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

That being the case, I doubt that a better copy exists from this negative.

Thanks guys, I will get on to that when I get back from My current travels, and see if AI can use them off that photo

I think I have to accept that its as good as we are going to get

I can certainly recognise a lot of the faces, it is a question as to whether they can be used for caparison

Thanks again for the help

2 hours ago, corisande said:

I can certainly recognise a lot of the faces, it is a question as to whether they can be used for caparison

AI can help there too.

Thanks again

• 4 weeks later...
On 27/06/2024 at 07:52, corisande said:

Thanks guys, I will get on to that when I get back from My current travels, and see if AI can use them off that photo

I think I have to accept that its as good as we are going to get

Thanks again for the help

I'd be interested to know what AI system you plan to use. We have a load of MGC related postcards and will be looking for some sort of mechanism to upload them and then run a scan to ID individuals. Have to digitize them first.

39 minutes ago, doyle3 said:

I'd be interested to know what AI system you plan to use

Its a long story, but some time ago I was contacted by the security services who wanted to train AI in face recognition using my ADRIC photos. It is quite impresive

6 minutes ago, corisande said:

Its a long story, but some time ago I was contacted by the security services who wanted to train AI in face recognition using my ADRIC photos. It is quite impresive

Are you at liberty to reveal that you were contacted by the security services???

They did tell me what I could (and could not say) :)

3 hours ago, corisande said:

Ta. I was hoping you might be using a system that I might be able to access. Google photos appears to have something but it doesn't work in the UK (may need to go the VPN route to be outside Europe) and some genealogy sites seem to be moving to provide something but not the ones I'm on.

ADRIC facial recognition sounds like an interesting project.