The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Date of Issue of the 1914 Star

MedalFox

Hi There,

Can anyone clear something up for me. Were the WW1 Stars issued before the BWM and Victory medals or at the same time. I can't find a definitive answer. My Great Grandfather served as a staff sergeant in the RAMC, he landed in France in August 1915, he served through to 1923. He had the three medals including the 1914-15 Star. I have several staged photos of him in his army uniform with one ribbon on his chest which is clearly the 1914-15 star ribbon, so I am assuming that these were sent out before the other two?? Like to know if anyone actually knows whether this happened?

Many thanks

• Admin
34 minutes ago, MedalFox said:

Like to know if anyone actually knows whether this happened?

1914 Star riband approved 10 December 1917

14-15 Star November 1918 riband as 1914 Star

British War Medal riband approved April 1919, not to be worn or issued until authorised by the War Office.

First 250 miles of riband issued 4 August 1919

Preliminary issue Victory Medal riband announced December 24 1919 (applicants for BWM need not apply!).

Men in the field were given priority for the issue of the Star riband (and medal ) but there were production difficulties given other wartime demands.  As for individual men/units all you can say with certainty BWM was not worn before the 4 August 1919.

Many thanks kenf48, that really makes sense! I’m guessing there were a lot of our boys in the trenches then who proudly wore their 1914 riband as a badge of honour!

I am kicking myself for not having made a note, but once I read about the issue of the 1914 Star riband, there being those men who arrived in 1914, but after First Ypres, who were not eligible for the 1914 Star, and they felt bitter about being slighted.

Have you found your Great Grandfather on the RAMC 1914-15 Star medal roll, and is it dated at the bottom of the roll?