The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Razor unit marking…help.

Dave66

Found another razor today, but the unit marking has me stumped so any help appreciated. 
Stamped D9 RA….Royal artillery I presume but the D9 is unusual.

Dave

IMG_6281.jpeg

IMG_6282.jpeg

Dave, 

I know nothing about such things but wonder what era would the simple “RA” be acceptable over the alternatives of RHA, RFA and RFA
The only other thought I’ve had is in which era did straight (cutthroat) razors become replaced by the more modern safety razor? 
I’m sorry it’s not very helpful !

Simon

All comments welcome and helpful Simon….i think these were around in both the boer war and Great War but really hard to determine age…it did surprise me that the marking wasn’t more specific…the joy of collecting!

Dave.

Dave,

straight razors have been around since the 18th Century (SweeneyTodd being a Victorian advocate). I was wondering if there was a time when soldiers began to use the safety razor in preference, it wouldn’t surprise me if there’s a forum member who recalls using one much more recently.

Simon

good evening,

I have find these soldiers on Ancestry :

Harry Bown
Royal Garrison Artillery
5234, 295082
A Morris
Royal Field Artillery
Peter Sullivan
Royal Garrison Artillery
Sr/5234, T280234

William J Radmore
Royal Field Artillery, Royal Garrison Artillery
W/5234, 220802
Lewis Stone
Royal Field Artillery
L/5234

regards

michel

I too found the men Michael just posted, they were the only ones with matching service numbers and an Artillery connection that earned WW1 service medals. This doesn’t rule out a pre-war soldier of the same service number (potentially a territorial?)who either didn’t serve in a theatre hence no medal entitlement, saw home service only with the same result or didn’t serve at all during the conflict 
Where abouts did you come across it? I wonder if any of the men Michel highlights above could be proved to have a link to the same area?

Simon

If it was discovered in the Sawbrigeworth (Hertfordshire) area it may have belonged to Driver L.Stone of the RFA, interred at Rouen. Just because he’s buried in France doesn’t mean his  effects weren’t returned to, in this case, his widow.

Simon

Got it today at the Malvern flea, but where the dealer came from is any ones guess. I’m fairly sure I recall safety razors coming out during the Great War, but as far as being issued I’m really not sure.

I did see the five with the exact number, it could, in all fairness, be anyone of those, or, as Simon's mentioned many others who didn’t serve overseas…May well be pre war or bore war.

The only thought I have with regard the D9 RA was possibly some sort of Depot??

Thanks all for your comments and suggestions.

Dave.

Posted (edited)

After quite a bit of research a possible answer….around the boer war period the Royal artillery was split into divisions. The 1st Worcestershire Artillery Volunteers were part of the 9th Welsh Division, local to me and where it was found. 
It’s seen quite a bit of use, quite possible it may have seen service spanning both wars but the chance of finding the owner is somewhat slim.

Dave.

Edited by Dave66