The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Soldier's Funeral, does anyone recognise the location?

high wood

This photograph came with three others that were of the Shropshire Light Infantry, but may have no connection to them. Judging from the uniform being worn it was probably taken before August 1914. Two of the soldiers at the front of the parade appear to have their rifles reversed.

Unfortunately, there is no photographer's name or location on the reverse of the photograph and no street names or shop fronts are visible to give a clue as to where it is. Does anyone recognise the location?

Parade 1.JPG

Parade.JPG

Posted (edited)

There are two horse drawn carts visible and one has a barely visible name on the side, the last word of which might be Western.

Parade 2.JPG

Parade 5.JPG

Edited by high wood
Correcting typos.

Posted (edited)

Through a magnifying glass the second poster in the window appears to read Bewley Drapers. However a quick search on the internet reveals that Bewley and Drapers made soda waters and other soft drinks. They were based in Dublin.

Edited by high wood
Adding information.

Gt Southern and Western (Railway Ireland) luggage cart?

Bewley & Drapers appears in Dublin?

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Jrmh said:

Gt Southern and Western (Railway Ireland) luggage cart?

Bewley & Drapers appears in Dublin?

Thank you, we definitely appear to have an Irish connection.

Edited by high wood
Correcting typos.

Given that the soldiers have either marched from or are marching to their barracks, I have looked at a route map of the Great Southern and Western Railway. The main towns through which it ran services appear to be Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Waterford, Killarney, Queen'stown, Lismore and Fermoy. Of these, Dublin, Cork, Limerick and Waterford had barracks. However, a search of images of barracks on the internet has failed to find a match to my photograph. The wall visible on the left side of the main photograph appears to be substantial and is either a town wall or a wall enclosing something of status or importance such as a civic building or manor house. It is probably still in existance today.

Doesn't the corner shop have some letters visible, above the horses?

Could there be more visible with a loupe on the original?

TEW

Could the wall be part of a church?

Posted (edited)

There are several large letters above the shop window but they are hard to read. I will re photograph them and will play around with the contrast to see if I can make them more visible.

I have also discovered that the 1st battalion K.S.L.I. were stationed at Tipperary in August 1914.

P1070372.JPG

Edited by high wood
Adding photograph.

Posted (edited)

I think that the wall and the structure behind it show Tipperary Barracks. I trimmed the original photograph but will rephotograph it to show the large water tower type building. The photograph below was taken from the internet, courtesy of Buildings of Ireland.

The original postcard has the top of the water tower trimmed but I am sure that it is the same location. The original barracks were burnt down and very little now remains.

The last photograph, again from buildings of ireland, shows the water tower from within the barrack grounds. Note the house roofs visible over the wall.

I have also found out that the Shropshire Light Infantry were only in Tipperary from 1913 to 1914 which should make finding out further details of the funeral a lot easier.

YT22108105_2.png

P1070370.JPG

Tippery water tower.jpg

Edited by high wood
Adding photograph.

The shop is Airmount House, Tipperary.

Google that and you'll see other images.

Street View, it's Station Rd, the water tower helps to locate.

TEW

30 minutes ago, Jrmh said:

Also:

1900-1903 3rd. Battalion Militia later known as The Shropshire Light Infantry (SLI)

http://homepage.tinet.ie/~tipperaryfame/barracks.htm

I saw that website earlier today and I think that the 1913/1914 entry is the correct one.

1 hour ago, Jrmh said:

From a different angle in 2013 old buildings to the left (no longer standing) which appears to be a church? 

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/gaa/gaelic-football/gaelic-football-news/gaa-president-liam-oneill-says-2657081

Thank you for posting the link, it is appreciated.

1 hour ago, TEW said:

The shop is Airmount House, Tipperary.

Google that and you'll see other images.

Street View, it's Station Rd, the water tower helps to locate.

TEW

Many thanks, I will check it out.

Well done to everyone, a difficult query to be sure.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Some more photographs from the same source, all king's Shropshire Light Infantry, but not necessarily taken in Irelnd.

KSLI 3a.JPG

KSLI 2.JPG

KSLI 1.JPG

Edited by high wood

Some newspaper clippings regarding the K.S.L.I. during their time in Tipperary. The first was taken from the Dublin Evening Mail 11th June 1914.

Dublin_Evening_Mail_11_June_1914_0007_Clip.jpg

Other newspaper reports of the K.S.L.I. made the headlines for unhappier reasons. Both articles were taken from the Evening Echo Cork on the 18th March 1914 and the 29th May 1914.

Evening_Echo_Cork_18_March_1914_0001_Clip.jpg

Evening_Echo_Cork_29_May_1914_0004_Clip.jpg