The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Dating Post Cards & Silks

PaulGrattidge

Hi all,

Is there any way of dating the postcards that came back from France by their designs or styles? I have read that the silk postcards were popular in France before the start of the war and were produced industrially from some point, I'm guessing it would be easy to tell a hand stitched one vs a machine stitched one? mine below looks machine stitched??

Reason for asking is I'm know my relative was injured in the battle of Le Cateau, so very early and I have a number of postcards he sent home, but I think he might have also been in France later in 1918 but have not yet been able to prove this. I was thinking it would have been a bit to early for the post card business to be going in Aug 1914??

Is there any info out there to help or any one want to have a guess if the cards below are 1914 or 1918???

As ever Thanks!

JohnMcNicoltoM.McNicolduringWW1_1.jpg.cf16b820aee81e4911e4fffd08f1289d.jpg

JohnMcNicoltoM.McNicolduringWW1_2.jpg.f50b0f1bcc8ea65e71a8a7c2a250dffe.jpg

JohnMcNicoltoM.McNicolduringWW1_3.jpg.d1e7d4acb5fb2c378c6f84d560d383be.jpg

Paul,

this isn’t much but the final card shows the Adrian helmet which wasn’t introduced until July 1915 making the card after that date. 
I did say it wasn’t much !

Simon

21 hours ago, mancpal said:

Paul,

this isn’t much but the final card shows the Adrian helmet which wasn’t introduced until July 1915 making the card after that date. 
I did say it wasn’t much !

Simon

No that helps a lot, after his injury at Le Cateau he went to Gallipoli and Egypt, then his battalion went back to France but I was not sure if he was still with them as was wounded at some point, this points to him going back to France

Thanks