The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

TYNE COT

I hope this is in the right place, apologies if not.

I want to travel to Tyne cot cemetery to pay my respects to my Great Uncle.

I live in Scotland and would like to know the best way to get there from Edinburgh and best places to stay close to the cemetery..

Many thanks.

Google maps "Directions". Or booking.com; flights, hotels, cars. Or if this is too difficult visit a local independent travel agent. 

Do you drive? If you do, you have the option of driving all the way, and ferry from Hull or Dover, or flying and hiring a car when you arrive.

If you don't drive, then I would suggest a coach tour, from companies such as Leger, which will usually include a stop at Tyne Cot.

Ken.

You could try the B&B at Varlet Farm. David is a great host and not too far from Tyne Cot. The farm has a display of recovered WW1 items in a barn. 
I have no connection with the business other than having been a guest on a number of occasions.

58 DM.

If you are travelling independently and don't want to drive, I'd suggest train to King's Cross, then short walk to St Pancras for Eurostar to Lille. Taxi or local train to Ypres (loads of places to stay). Taxi or local bus will take you from there to Tyne Cot. 

Apologies for my early reply. It doesn't read too well. It would perhaps help if you could define "best". For example: the quickest, or the cheapest, or the most luxurious. Something in the middle will probably define what you need. Do you want to combine the goal to pay your respects with other objectives? e.g.. Local culture, history, cuisine, etc. Have a think about it and flesh out a few more details. There will be loads of people here who can help with tips and recommendations for Hotels, travel, battlefield guides and so on.  

19 hours ago, sassenach said:

If you are travelling independently and don't want to drive, I'd suggest train to King's Cross, then short walk to St Pancras for Eurostar to Lille. Taxi or local train to Ypres (loads of places to stay). Taxi or local bus will take you from there to Tyne Cot. 

Really helpful, thank you.

51 minutes ago, Maximus said:

Really helpful, thank you.

If you decide on the Eurostar option, fares can vary enormously, so it helps to be flexible with your dates and, if you can, book well in advance. 

• Admin

I’d recommend Flanders Battlefield Tours. 
https://www.ypres-fbt.com/

if you cycle , there is an option of catching a train . if you pick you transport to Zebrugge , there is a station at Roeselare which is around 40 mins cycle ride to Tyne Cot.

Unfortunately, as far as I'm aware, Zeebrugge is no longer an option. P and O cancelled the Hull-Zeebrugge service during Covid and it hasn't been revived. Or has it?

We might get a flight to  Bruges and hire a car from there.