The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Alias WW1 service record

lis84

Hi. I was overlooking my great grandfather's service record and saw he had an alias listed , which I've never seen before.

I continued searching names and came across other Davis records and they also had the same alias? Not related. Any ideas what this alias means?

IMG20240630140954.jpg

Where is that page from?

The AIF ADFA Database has 3730 John Davis here-

https://www.aif.adfa.edu.au/showPerson?pid=74483

No mention of an alias or of him being a Lieutenant as shown in that image.

No mention of an alias in his service records (unless I am missing something)-

https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/DetailsReports/ItemDetail.aspx?Barcode=1896839&isAv=N

He is listed in Ron Austin's battalion history as a private who went into captivity with 50 other 4th Battalion men at Bullecourt 14-17 April 1917.

Is 3730 John Davis your great grandfather? Or another Davis?

Scott

Edited by Waddell
Added more.

I think Forces War Records may have made a mistake here, particularly if those details are showing up on other records for Davis. Might be worth sending them an email if you subscribe to them.

The use of an alias in the AIF was not uncommon, however, the few I have come across have had letters within them, usually from the soldier written at a later date informing them of his actions. There were reasons why a soldier would use an alias.

Those records are free from the National Archives of Australia through the link in my first post.

Scott

Edited by Waddell
Added more.