The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Army pay for conscientious objectors?

FrancesH

17 minutes ago, FrancesH said:

In conclusion (possibly! who knows?) I'd like to quote Clifford Allen, Chairman of the No Conscription Fellowship, addressing 2,000 former COs in 1920:

"Every one of us must be only too conscious of how terrible is the comparison between the anguish of those who have died and been mutilated in the war and the test to which we have been subjected… Not one of us would dare to compare our suffering with that of the men who were actually engaged in warfare."

Frances,

I would like to give you the last word [? - and I am certainly not seeking it for myself] but I would really like to acknowledge that quote and the sentiment offered back then in 1920 [and not just from the prism of 2024] = Thank you for posting it.

M

Edited by Matlock1418

Hi Matlock -- certainly the last word from me for today! 

I'm not quite sure if you just wanted to endorse Allen's heartfelt comment or wondered where I got it from -- in case it was the latter, I found it quoted in 

David Boulton, ‘Conscription and Conscience in Great Britain’, Pacifists in Great Britain, International Catalan Institute for Peace,  https://www.icip.cat/perlapau/en/article/conscription-and-conscience-in-great-britain/

5 minutes ago, FrancesH said:

I'm not quite sure if you just wanted to endorse Allen's heartfelt comment or wondered where I got it from -- in case it was the latter, I found it quoted in 

David Boulton, ‘Conscription and Conscience in Great Britain’, Pacifists in Great Britain, International Catalan Institute for Peace,  https://www.icip.cat/perlapau/en/article/conscription-and-conscience-in-great-britain/

I was not particularly clear, and have just edited above = It was an endorsement, but the source is much appreciated.

Have a good time when and wherever you are :thumbsup:

M