The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Time delay for news from the front

Price566673738

Hi

I was wondering, how long the 'lag' or time delay was for news to reach home from the front. E.g A newspaper dated 17 Dec 1917 detailing about a soldiers gassing. It also says he was in hospital. How long was the time until news reached home that someone was in hospital. 

I think it is about 4 weeks but would I have to factor in the period spent in hospital? 

I would have thought that the family would hear news in a matter of days though the news being printed is a different matter. After events such as the Somme where there were thousands of casualties it is understandable that it took many weeks to get through the backlog.

Simon

News of major events was rapid, although to a degree censored, embellished and jingoistic .............. the newspapers were well-informed, and communications were much better than may be imagined by people living today.

As an example, a letter posted in a major city early in the morning might well be deivered elsewhere in that city late in the same day.

Regarding letters to and from the front, once past the censor [not for officers] every effort was made. Food parcels arrived in the trenches still fresh.

Much of modern progress is in fact regression.

• Admin
27 minutes ago, Price566673738 said:

I think it is about 4 weeks but would I have to factor in the period spent in hospital? 

I think you are confusing the publication of casualty lists in newspapers with the notification to next of kin.

The postal system was very efficient, including telegram services 

32 minutes ago, Price566673738 said:

E.g A newspaper dated 17 Dec 1917 detailing about a soldiers gassing. It also says he was in hospital. How long was the time until news reached home that someone was in hospital. 

The relative could therefore tell the newspaper publisher their son/father etc was in hospital just a few short days after receiving notification from the authorities; his CO or a comrade or if able, the soldier himself.  Initially  perhaps using the Field Service Postcard:-

Screenshot 2024-07-02 at 17.50.00.png

Information was limited and if anything else was written the card was destroyed, as noted above this could arrive the next day

https://www.postalmuseum.org/collections/ww1/

On 02/07/2024 at 17:55, kenf48 said:

I think you are confusing the publication of casualty lists in newspapers with the notification to next of kin.

Yes, l now see that I am indeed confusing the publication of the Casualty lists. 

Any idea on the time delay on the lists getting published?

• Admin
2 hours ago, Price566673738 said:

Yes, l now see that I am indeed confusing the publication of the Casualty lists. 

Any idea on the time delay on the lists getting published?

As you said about four weeks but bear in mind the lists would come originally from the relevant Record Office so would not necessarily refer to the same Battalion.

Four weeks is therefore an approximate time frame.