The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Can anyone please identify this badge?

tomwardle

I appreciate that this is a very grainy photo but would anyone possibly be able to identify this badge / brooch? Is it a military badge at all? There seems to be a downwards triangle on it.

We have major suspicions about the veracity of this story, which I have already posted about, and whether this was the true name but it might give some clues:

"Immediately after the outbreak of war, Burton enlisted in the Third Regiment of Kings Own Hussars, who fought in France and was promoted to sergeant in the trenches near Mons. Jack Burton served in the various sectors. He took part in the famous retreat of Ayons, during the offensive he fought at Givenchy and La Bassé, places that every newspaper reader will remember from the war. At La Bassé a gas attack ended his military service. Unfit to continue fighting and discharged from the English army on September 13, 1915, Jack Burton still wanted to help his homeland by working in the munitions factories. The Mons Star Medal, Victory Medal and General Service Medal were awarded to Burton as a decoration for his gallantry.”  

Mr Burton Badge.jpg

I would say that it is not military. Men of that era wore waistcoats and they would carry their fob watch and chain in the pockets either side of the buttons. Many men also added a medallion, also known as a watch fob, to the chain. This medallion could have been sport related; work related; masonic related .... the list goes on.

Looks Masonic to me, the triangular shape, albeit upside down, hints at a pair of dividers, a standard motif in Masonic regalia.

Edited by Gardenerbill