The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

40th Battalion CEF

Allan1892

Anyone know where I can find the war diaries for the 40th Battalion CEF for 1915 / 1916

There are some files at Library and Archives Canada (LAC) for the 40th Battalion, but there will be no War Diaries because the unit was broken up to feed the reinforcement system. Of the files at LAC, only the Sailing List nominal roll is digitized.

LAC search: https://recherche-collection-search.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/Home/Search?q="40th canadian infantry battalion"&

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/40th_Battalion_(Nova_Scotia),_CEF

Depending on what you are looking for, this search of the "canadian.ca" collection of sources for "40th Battalion" may be helpful: https://www.canadiana.ca/search/?df=1914&q0.0="40th+battalion"&dt=1920

Edited by regimentalrogue

30 minutes ago, regimentalrogue said:

Of the files at LAC, only the Sailing List nominal roll is digitized.

Excellent:thumbsup: -- shows that 'my man' was part of the 2nd Reinforcing Draft -- something that I didn't know.

It also shows the sailing date, ship and port which all agree with his service record. Interesting to see that he was a Sergeant when he 'came over' (later commissioned to Lieutenant and then Captain) -- I have tried to confirm his commission date and also his promotion to Captain but I am struggling with the Canadian Gazette, I can't seem to find a search facility on the CG.

Posted (edited)
On 04/07/2024 at 16:58, DavidOwen said:

I eventually found the entry that I was looking for, page 3684, bottom left column, amongst a list of men to be Lieutenants 'Andrew Samuel' -- w.e.f. 25th January 1916.

Looking at his service record I find that he was promoted to 'Temp. Captain' w.e.f. 10th March 1918. It states that it was announced in the London Gazette, I have spent a couple of hours trying to find the LG announcement, can you have a look with a fresh pair of eyes please? (image courtesy of Canadian Archives)

Active Service showing temp Cpt 10-3-18.jpg

Edited by Allan1892

Posted (edited)

Found him!!!

Entry in the LG 22/6/1918 under Central Ontario Regiment -- his active service card (see above) shows that he was with the 15th Canadian Battalion -- is there a link between the 15th Battalion and the Central Ontario Regiment?

(image courtesy of the London Gazette)

LG announcement to temp captain.jpg

Edited by Allan1892

• Admin
7 minutes ago, Allan1892 said:

:D -- once again, thank you for your responses

:thumbsup:

21 hours ago, Allan1892 said:

15th Canadian Battalion -- is there a link between the 15th Battalion and the Central Ontario Regiment

In 1917, the CEF instituted a system of regionally named Regimental Depots which grouped existing Reserve battalions. These depot units took in men from new battalions or reinforcement drafts raised in the affiliated areas of Canada from similarly named Depot battalions that trained new soldiers after numbered battalions stopped being authorized. The overseas Regimental Depots then formed reinforcement drafts for affiliated front-line units. The Depots also became the England-based "home regiment" for any soldiers struck off strength of their unit and returned to England when wounded or for other reasons. 

You can see in the service record page above that Samuel was wounded and invalided to the "1st CORD", the Central Ontario Regiment Depot. The 15th Canadian Infantry Battalion was linked to the 1st CORD through this system of depot groupings.

Smaller provinces (by population) had a single regimental depot named for them. Onatio had multiple such depot designations, "EORD," CORD," WORD" (Eastern, Central, Western).