The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Help identifying uniform/badges please?

Strawberryvic

Hi everyone, I have been sent some photos of what could be my grandfather, or possibly his brother(s) as there is some confusion. I have no idea what the uniforms or badges etc. are for any of them. For context, my grandfather was born in 1900 so maybe only just about qualified for WW1, but I do know for sure that two of his brothers fought (and died) in WW1. I would really like to know the regiments associated with these uniforms so that I can work out who's who! This would mean a lot to me - thanks in advance.

Harry2.jpg

Harry3.jpg

Harry Keep.jpg

The first image shows the shoulder titles of the 18th Hussars, and I think the collar dogs match.
I think that the collar dogs for he third photo are the same.

The cap badge in the second photo might be the same.
Lanyards on the right side might suggest service after 1920, or maybe not.
Let's see what @FROGSMILE has to say.

If you can post the names of the casualties especially, that would help confirm regimental details.

5 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

The first image shows the shoulder titles of the 18th Hussars, and I think the collar dogs match.

If you can post the names of the casualties especially, that would help confirm regimental details.

Thanks so much for the quick reply Dai Bach! One of the brothers was Harry Keep, and it looks like he died in 1914 so probably not in the photos. The other was (I think) Albert Keep, whereas my grandfather was Alfred R Keep.

15 minutes ago, Strawberryvic said:

Thanks so much for the quick reply Dai Bach! One of the brothers was Harry Keep, and it looks like he died in 1914 so probably not in the photos. The other was (I think) Albert Keep, whereas my grandfather was Alfred R Keep.

OK, so that means that Harry was:

Private ERNEST HARRY KEEP     Service Number: 9698 Royal Berkshire Regiment, 2nd Bn.

Date of Death Died 16 December 1914

Buried at WIMEREUX COMMUNAL CEMETERY    I. C. 6A

45 minutes ago, Strawberryvic said:

The other was (I think) Albert Keep, whereas my grandfather was Alfred R Keep.

Theres an Albert Richard Keep of the 18th Hussars who attested August 1919 aged 18yrs 9mths so born 1900 (born Aston Tarrold, Wallingford, Berks) married Lina Gosden.

Source is Tank Corps Enlistments Register on Findmypast. 

Service number 51561  then Army Number 537520. His service record should have survived and be one of Those that is being transferred from the Ministry of Defence to the National Archives.

Can you confirm if this is your GU or GF ?

Charlie

The cwgc have an Albert Keep (aged 31) who died 23/7/16 and served with the Royal Sussex Regiment and is commemorated on Thiepval Memorial (so no known grave). 
If you are correct in saying Alfred was the only survivor of the 3 then this would rule out the Albert suggested by Charlie purely on him not being a casualty.  
Do either ‘Letcombe Regis, Wantage, Berks’ or ‘Durnford House, Cuckfield, Sussex’ ring any bells? This particular Albert was married to Mrs. M.E. Keep.

Simon

Addition:- anybody recognise the flash on the Wolseley Helmet?

Edited by mancpal

18 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Yes he’s 18th (Queen Mary’s Own) Hussars in all three photos Dai, and all the items of uniform and insignia chime with that.  Collar badges were often worn by regular cavalry and auxiliaries of the yeomanry, even though they were not officially authorised for service dress until the 1920s.  Dress features include the plain ball buttons worn by hussars of cavalry of the line plus those yeomanry units styled as hussars.  The lanyards position seems likely to have been a regimental dress idiosyncrasy, but I do not know for sure.

I suspect that he might’ve served in a hot climate like India, or Egypt, Mesopotamia, etc. and then been combed out into the infantry at one of several points during the war when mounted units were weeded in order to feed the voracious requirements of the infantry.   That was especially so following particular periods of attrition such as the Somme in 1916, Passchendaele in 1917, and the Somme again from the Spring onward in 1918.  See also: https://www.gutenberg.org/files/61769/61769-h/61769-h.htm

Pictures from public domain courtesy of image search engine.

IMG_5088.jpeg

IMG_5090.jpeg

IMG_5089.jpeg

IMG_5108.jpeg

IMG_5107.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 hour ago, charlie962 said:

Theres an Albert Richard Keep of the 18th Hussars who attested August 1919 aged 18yrs 9mths so born 1900 (born Aston Tarrold, Wallingford, Berks) married Lina Gosden.

Source is Tank Corps Enlistments Register on Findmypast. 

Service number 51561  then Army Number 537520. His service record should have survived and be one of Those that is being transferred from the Ministry of Defence to the National Archives.

The records do seem to have survived due to having been in the custody of the MOD until recently. The number however is different.

537520    KEEP AR    1900-11-06

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/about/our-role/plans-policies-performance-and-projects/our-projects/ministry-of-defence-service-records/

Posted (edited)

Thanks all! My Grandfather was ALFRED RICHARD KEEP and he was born in 1900 in Aston Tirrold, married Lina Gosden, so this is definitely the person named above. This is really helpful info about his regiment etc. and I'm very grateful to everyone for helping to clarify. :thumbsup:

Edited by Strawberryvic

6 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

The number however is different.

That's the same Army Number I quoted above.

I presume the Tank Corps Enlistments Register was wrong written up as Albert and should read Alfred.

Service summary

Attested 1919 as a Regular. 7 years Colour/5 years Reserve service. Re-attested 1931 for 4 more years in Section D Reserve. Discharged 1935.

Screenshot_20240704-072218_Chrome.jpg.3861f9dc87ac69a54bb58157fe08d7a1.jpg

Screenshot_20240704-072301_Chrome.jpg.f433097d5f6d59c630243efa6b010279.jpg

Source Tank Corps Enlistments on Findmypast

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/transcript?id=GBM%2FTANK%2F042843&sourcecategory=armed+forces+%26+conflict&sid=998&lastname=keep&soldiernumber=537520&keywordsplace_proximity=5&sourcecountry=great+britain

Thanks Charlie.  Enlisted right at the end of the war and so hence still wearing 18th Hussars insignia then.  Like many (but not all) the line cavalry regiments the 18th merged with another cavalry unit to reduce the overall headcount without losing titles.  Nicknamed a process of creating “vulgar fractions” by those who were not so treated, in the case of the 18th Hussars (Queen Mary’s Own) they merged with the 13th Hussars** in 1922 to create the 13th/18th Royal Hussars.

Some units reduced by not replacing men who had completed their service engagement and then when down to a certain strength combining.  In other cases the unit overseas remained at a reasonably good operational strength, perhaps just reducing by a squadron, and then a unit from home reduced to just a rump came out to join them as a squadron.  In the case of the 13th they remained at a good strength and were then joined by just a single squadron from the much reduced 18th. 

Initially original insignia and identity was retained to allow gradual settling in and lessen any sense of winners and losers, but once the new regiment identified precisely which aspects of each units historical dress it would retain, new insignia was designed and issued and the revised identity adopted by all.  The new badge for the regiment was modernistic and starkly different from those that went before.

It seems likely our subject was transferred to the Tank Corps during preparation for the merger and sent to join B.A.R. - presumably British Army [of the] Rhine in the German occupation zone (edit: actually B Army Reserve - see following post below).

** this was the regiment of Lord Baden Powell, an influential man who established the first British ‘cavalry school’ to teach mounted tactical techniques and field craft and, perhaps more famously, established the Boy Scout movement that influenced similar organisations throughout the world.

NB.  The 18th went through no less than three changes of title between 1918 and 1922 due to changes in the Royal status of Mary of Teck.

Pictures from public domain via online search engine.

IMG_5092.jpeg

IMG_5093.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

47 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

join B.A.R.

I took that to be his transfer to 'B' Army Reserve, upon complétion of 7 years Colour service.

49 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

creating “vulgar fractions”

Army humour !

26 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

I took that to be his transfer to 'B' Army Reserve, upon complétion of 7 years Colour service.

I’m sure you must be right and I misinterpreted it.

4 hours ago, charlie962 said:

That's the same Army Number I quoted above

So it is, my apologies.

They are post WW1 photos.  Whilst the regt amalgamated in 1922 the Sqn identity and dress distinctions remained in place after 1922 until circa 1929.  

The warm weather photo would be circa 1920 when the regt was  in India. (see attached).  Everything about the photos shout 1920 era photos to me just before amalgamation.

After 1922 the s/t but not the sqn cap bagdes changed to 13/18th.

In 1929 the cap badge and collars in the '5 bar gate' design were sealed and worn across the regiment.

Screenshot 2024-07-05 15.14.34.png

Edited by max7474

36 minutes ago, max7474 said:

They are post WW1 photos.  Whilst the regt amalgamated in 1922 the Sqn identity and dress distinctions remained in place after 1922 until circa 1929.  

The warm weather photo would be circa 1920 when the regt was  in India. (see attached).  Everything about the photos shout 1920 era photos to me just before amalgamation.

After 1922 the s/t but not the sqn cap bagdes changed to 13/18th.

In 1929 the cap badge and collars in the '5 bar gate' design were sealed and worn across the regiment.

Screenshot 2024-07-05 15.14.34.png

Thanks so much for this information :)