The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

2nd Battalion Black Watch- Battle of Loos

tjalexander

Hi,

im looking for help with regards to the movement of 2nd Black Watch. I’m trying to do some research into a family member Pte Archibald Alexander who was lost on Sept 25th at the Battle of Loos.

Any regimental or company information would be hugely appreciated. 

thanks in advance 

These maps are from " A History Of The Black Watch "

May be a wee help to you.

Gary

100_8959.JPG

100_8960.JPG

This was ridiculously helpful! We thought he was much closer to Loos so this helped , thank you

• Admin

This was part of a diversionary attack although comes under the umbrella of Loos. 

I have a transcription of the 2nd Bn Black Watch War Diary for September, 1915.

It is spread over many pages, but I have compressed these into 20 pages for the purposes of the transcription.

Included with the original pages (courtesy TNA) are 2 Hand-Drawn Sketch Maps. I'll post these here separately, as they are very helpful to understand the references in the actual text of the WD.

I'll then post my transcription files in 2 posts of 10 (to try to reduce space).

It is necessary to the see operations before and after the operations of the 25th Sept 1915.

I hope this helps.

Tom.

2nd Bn BW - WD - 1915 09 Copy for GWF_Page_21.jpg

2nd Bn BW - WD - 1915 09 Copy for GWF_Page_22.jpg

Here is my first 10 pages (compressed text) of the 2nd Bn BLACK WATCH War Diary for the month of September 1915.

2nd Bn BW - WD - 1915 09 Copy for GWF_Page_01.jpg

2nd Bn BW - WD - 1915 09 Copy for GWF_Page_02.jpg

2nd Bn BW - WD - 1915 09 Copy for GWF_Page_03.jpg

2nd Bn BW - WD - 1915 09 Copy for GWF_Page_04.jpg

2nd Bn BW - WD - 1915 09 Copy for GWF_Page_05.jpg

2nd Bn BW - WD - 1915 09 Copy for GWF_Page_06.jpg

2nd Bn BW - WD - 1915 09 Copy for GWF_Page_07.jpg

2nd Bn BW - WD - 1915 09 Copy for GWF_Page_08.jpg

2nd Bn BW - WD - 1915 09 Copy for GWF_Page_09.jpg

2nd Bn BW - WD - 1915 09 Copy for GWF_Page_10.jpg

Here is my second 10 pages (compressed text) of the 2nd Bn BLACK WATCH War Diary for the month of September 1915.

2nd Bn BW - WD - 1915 09 Copy for GWF_Page_11.jpg

2nd Bn BW - WD - 1915 09 Copy for GWF_Page_12.jpg

2nd Bn BW - WD - 1915 09 Copy for GWF_Page_13.jpg

2nd Bn BW - WD - 1915 09 Copy for GWF_Page_14.jpg

2nd Bn BW - WD - 1915 09 Copy for GWF_Page_15.jpg

2nd Bn BW - WD - 1915 09 Copy for GWF_Page_16.jpg

2nd Bn BW - WD - 1915 09 Copy for GWF_Page_17.jpg

2nd Bn BW - WD - 1915 09 Copy for GWF_Page_18.jpg

2nd Bn BW - WD - 1915 09 Copy for GWF_Page_19.jpg

2nd Bn BW - WD - 1915 09 Copy for GWF_Page_20.jpg

Be very careful with map references in your excellently transcribed war diary. Some reports of this time still used the 1914 system of squaring, as the Adjutant may still not have had new maps. The battle of Loos was still in the transition period to the "Revised System of Squaring" as printed in the margin. That is the system used across the great majority of British maps and is what is used in TrenchMapper.

It means that you may need corroboration with point names etc. to see if a map reference uses the old or new system. It can get confusing!

Howard

3 hours ago, Howard said:

Be very careful with map references in your excellently transcribed war diary. Some reports of this time still used the 1914 system of squaring, as the Adjutant may still not have had new maps. The battle of Loos was still in the transition period to the "Revised System of Squaring" as printed in the margin. That is the system used across the great majority of British maps and is what is used in TrenchMapper.

It means that you may need corroboration with point names etc. to see if a map reference uses the old or new system. It can get confusing!

Howard

Thanks Howard for that information.

But a 'transcription' is intended as an 'exact' (or as near as possible) transfer of the original.

The Map References in my transcription are as originally written. That's why I posted the 2 Sketch Maps from the WD to refer to those in the transcription.

It is not for a transcription to delve into the 'history of mapping'. I can only write what's there in the original, without alteration.

Tom.

Edited by Tom Lang

I think we are at cross purposes, nothing to do with transcriptions. My point is that M.2.a.7.5 in the old system is not the same place on the ground as M.2.a.7.5 in the revised system. The grid shifted and changed its lettering. That is compounded by some Revised System of Squaring maps having the grid shifted in error by 150 yards in latitude, the worst cases are sheet 36C for the Battle of Loos.

If you look at TrenchMapper Help->Knowledge Centre->How to read a trench map, at the bottom of that page is the old system.

This has caught out a number of people over the years because what looks like a "revised" map reference actually refers to older maps. You cannot tell from just a reference which is which, so if a narrative does not seem to fit the ground, that may be the reason.

Howard

27 minutes ago, Howard said:

I think we are at cross purposes, nothing to do with transcriptions. My point is that M.2.a.7.5 in the old system is not the same place on the ground as M.2.a.7.5 in the revised system. The grid shifted and changed its lettering. That is compounded by some Revised System of Squaring maps having the grid shifted in error by 150 yards in latitude, the worst cases are sheet 36C for the Battle of Loos.

If you look at TrenchMapper Help->Knowledge Centre->How to read a trench map, at the bottom of that page is the old system.

This has caught out a number of people over the years because what looks like a "revised" map reference actually refers to older maps. You cannot tell from just a reference which is which, so if a narrative does not seem to fit the ground, that may be the reason.

Howard

Howard,

If you'll allow me, I think it is you who are at "cross-purposes".

You are 'translating' a Map Reference, whereas I'm 'transcribing' it.

It is NOT for me to alter the original (and intended) use of the Map References, NOR to go into some 'History of Maps'.   

I provided copies of the 'original' Maps to which the transcription refers.   The reader can discover this for him/herself if so inclined.

Tom.

Edited by Tom Lang

On 04/07/2024 at 04:44, dundeesown said:

These maps are from " A History Of The Black Watch "

May be a wee help to you.

Gary

100_8959.JPG

100_8960.JPG

@Howard may I refer you to the maps previously posted by @dundeesown

They are much clearer than those in the WD.

Tom.

2 hours ago, Tom Lang said:

Howard,

If you'll allow me, I think it is you who are at "cross-purposes".

You are 'translating' a Map Reference, whereas I'm 'transcribing' it.

It is NOT for me to alter the original (and intended) use of the Map References, NOR to go into some 'History of Maps'.   

I provided copies of the 'original' Maps to which the transcription refers.   The reader can discover this for him/herself if so inclined.

Tom.

I was simply trying to be helpful to anyone who may use the information, not everyone realises the problem with early maps.

Howard