The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Before Dawn (2024)

ilkley remembers

New Australian drama ‘Before Dawn’ doing the rounds at the moment and seen at the local boutique ‘flea pit’ this afternoon.

It follows the fortunes of a young farm boy from a sheep station in some barely hospitable part of the outback to the The Somme in 1916 with the 44th Battalion AIF. The ceaseless rain in France provides plenty of opportunity for rolling around in the mud whilst indulging in male bonding and ocker banter.

Think the film has been shot on a bit of a budget with rather shallow trenches set in a landscape which looks decidedly Australian. The scene depicting the assault on the Hindenburg Line seemed to involve a dozen men a hand grenade and an odd looking German pill box.

Nevertheless I quite enjoyed the film showing as it does the emotional journey experienced by the central character as he reflects upon the meaningless of war whilst coming to terms with his own guilt about his actions during the conflict

Filming is actually rather stylishly done and the action scenes, at least to me, seemed realistic. However, I would imagine that there are plenty of ‘Routemaster Moments’ for those with more of an eye for historical accuracy

21 hours ago, ilkley remembers said:

The Somme in 1916 with the 44th Battalion AIF

Thanks for this  I've looked at the reviews and they are mixed.

I have an interest in the 44th Battalion as my grandfather provided signal support to them and the other 3 battalions of the 11th Brigade AIF.  On September 28th 1918 the 44th marched to battle with 600 men  when my grandfather caught the train back on 3rd October, he was joined by their 80 survivors.  I have an original signal from the battle, where the support company of one of the battalions is caught by enfilading MG fire as they fight up Claymore Valley and a 77mm field gun and light trench mortar are firing from a trench.

I'll go and see the movie and report back, as a twentysomething director and teenage actors doing Great War movies need support and encouragement.

I liked your review  one minor correction is that the battalion left Western Australia in June 1916 and arrived at the frontline trenches in the last few days of December 1916.  'The Somme' refers to their participation in the Second Battle of the Somme 1918.

44th Australian Infantry Battalion

Cheers, Bill 

@WhiteStarLine Having read your comments I am beginning to hope that I was correct in stating that it was the 44th and not the 40th or something similar...it did flash up on the screen rather rapidly. My vision might have been slightly impaired by the 2 'bowls' of South Australian Chardonay that I had before and during the screening, although, I did feel that serving Australia's finest was a fitting attempt at authenticity on behalf of the cinema. Anyway if I am wrong please accept my apologies in advance.

Interesting to read your connection with the 44th. By chance I was sat next to an elderly lady from Tasmania who was visiting family/friends in the UK and had come to see the film because her grandfather was an Aussie who had fought on the Western Front. 

I hope that you enjoy the film and will look forward to hearing your views