The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Finding a Death in the Death Registers

Perth Digger

I realise that strictly speaking this query is out of bounds, as it relates to a mechanic working for Vickers who drowned in 1913, but he and his pilot were the first fatalities at Joyce Green Aerodrome and I am compiling a list.

There is a large amount of information on the pilot, Leslie Macdonald, but very little on England (the newspapers either almost ignored him or sometimes got his forename and surname wrong). Their plane crashed into the Thames at Dartford on 13 January 1913. Macdonald's body was eventually recovered, but England's wasn't. This may explain why I cannot find an official reference to his death in the Registrar General's files (I'm sure he must be there; I just can't find him). Any help on building up England's life will be gratefully received.

Thanks

Mike

Further to the above, I have now found out, fortuitously on the internet, that Harold (Harry) England was, in fact, Henry (Harry) England, a Welshman born in 1885 in Merthyr Tydfil. His death was registered on the Essex side of the Thames in the Registration District of Orsett in the Jan-Mar quarter of 1913.

Mike