The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Tracking down a photographer (active Verdun area 1916/17)- poss. American or French -AFS connections?

4thGordons

I realise this is a huge long-shot -- but....

I just purchased a set of photographs associated with the American Field Service (AFS) a number of them (15 I think) were used in a book "Ambulance 464 Encore des blesses" by JH Byran. Most of these published pics are attributed to Bryan. In the set I bought some others are attributed to William Gilmore (another AFS member in the same SSU) quite a few other pics (25+) are attributed to "BARDELLINI" 

I can find no reference to him in the AFS listings(which are supposed to be comprehensive) or in Bryan's book. There is no mention of an initial anywhere. The pics attributed to Bardellini appear to be slightly earlier (1916 rather than early 1917)

I suspect there is some connection with the AFS but I cannot find any reference in any of my sources. It seem to me the other most likely alternative are he was a photographer who recorded AFS operations with the French.

The pics attributed to Bardellini (25 total) are technically good (better than amateur snapshots but not totally staged official type pics). All are identical format (3 1/2x 5 1/2) prints and are mostly around Verdun (Hill 304) and Esnes-en-Argonne (Church and Chateau) and Dombasle (This was the area that the Bryan's AFS SSU operated)

Has anyone run across the name Bardellini in this general context? Oddly the name strikes some cord with me (I have done a lot of research on the AFS operations in this area) but I cannot put my finger on it something tells me I have run across an Italianate name in this context previously possibly as a translator or a liaison officer) but I have not been able to find it.

Alternatively any other suggestions as to how to track down this photographer? 

Here are three examples of the Bardellini images 

Dombasle

Bardelllini001a.jpg.ff22606bbe14134d64016558e1bbaa9b.jpg

Chateau at Esnes

Bardelllini001b.jpg.6a2a9272a7f9e1b679c1da7565622b0f.jpg

German Prisoners

Bardelllini001c.jpg.a2f1ee99ac23c07c4a66da49a4e1a493.jpg

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Chris

Just one addition - it appears the Bardellini in question was French.

In the preface to the book is the following interesting snippet:

"In taking the photographs I used a post-card size camera, with a good anastigmat lens, and I would advise anyone going over with the intention of taking pictures not to get a smaller camera, for although the larger size is occasionally troublesome, little pictures are always unsatisfactory. But this advice may be unnecessary, because our authorities, like the British,
are very strict concerning the use of cameras within the war zone. Almost all our films were developed at the front, Gilmore and I using the loft of a barn for a laboratory, with buckets and basins for apparatus. Many Were the negatives we spoiled when the weather was so cold that the developer would not act on the films. Sometimes we printed by sunlight and sometimes by means of the carbide headlights on one of the cars. I took about four hundred photographs altogether, and the best which survive are in this book. I have also used a number of pictures taken by my friends, and wish to thank William Gilmore and Ray Williams, both of Section Twelve, supplied three and four, respectively, the latter number including the balloon pictures. Monsieur Bardellini took six of the pictures at Esnes and Colonel Thurneyssen the group of  Boche prisoners. The Farnam, the bursting bomb, and Guynemer pictures I obtained from George Trowbridge."

Ambulance 464 Preface pp IX-X.

The German POWs are from a Garde-unit. Can you make out the cypher on the flaps?

GreyC

19 minutes ago, GreyC said:

The German POWs are from a Garde-unit. Can you make out the cypher on the flaps?

GreyC

Unfortunately I cannot - I will have a go at rescanning at higher resolution but I think the texture of the surface of the paper will interfere

This is about the best I could get,sorry. 

bardellini.jpg.e2fb5ae882ccd6edd1dd062825fc32a9.jpg

It seems the French unit is the 366th

A couple of the other pics seem to reference  a location on the Somme ----Vermandovilliers and reference a date Sept 4 1916 but I am not certain that the photo above (although taken by the same person) was taken at the same time.

Thanks for your thoughts

Chris

3 pictures from same group with ref to location

(interesting that the French soldier in foreground - right - appears to have a cover on his helmet)

Bardellinidetail.jpg.00ba6f9835345b55c78afff19f2be0fa.jpg

and reverse of prints

Bardellinidetailback.jpg.670d0cec0ea3728f89a3b611a896baaf.jpg

Look like this is the general location of the first photo of Dombasle-en-Argonne, the original photo was taken from the other side of the tracks, looking at the old building at the same location. It appears the new building is built from the same footprint, same general size and dimensions with new modern grain silos in the rear.  Photo is from google Street view along the D603 in Dombasle-en-Argonne

Jim

image.png.24055bd386bfb0a3a4f39a738d8f4ea3.png

8 hours ago, 4thGordons said:

This is about the best I could get,sorry. 

Thank you!

I agree, no use trying anything else, won´t improve the result. But you can now better see, that the French soldier has a 366 on his collar.

GreyC

Hi,

courtesy of the Prussian we can now pinpoint the date of the photo with the 366 regiment to 12th March - 15th April 1917 Höhe 304.

They fought against 2nd Landwehr-Division and maybe 28th Res Div. So no Prussian Garde.  But the 1st and 2nd battailon of RIR 109 had braids.

They were part of the 28th Res. Div.

So we see French soldiers of Regiment 366 gathering in German POWs from most likely RIR 109.

Thanks Prussian!

GreyC

Apologies for the delay responding - thank you both for those insights.

I am now re-reading the book some of these pics were used in to see if there are further clues.

Thanks!

Chris