The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Help needed with service records accuracy

Harbourart

Before you get too excited about the FMP results, this is what we are seeing

1. Mention of the medal index card
  2. Transcription of the same detail as the card, albeit transcribed from the roll
  3. Service record

So, 1 and 2 are pretty much the same thing, in this instance.

1 minute ago, Keith_history_buff said:

Before you get too excited about the FMP results, this is what we are seeing

1. Mention of the medal index card
  2. Transcription of the same detail as the card, albeit transcribed from the roll
  3. Service record

So, 1 and 2 are pretty much the same thing, in this instance.

Thanks again Keith things are becoming clearer now.

On 23/07/2024 at 16:02, kenf48 said:

The service record of M/295606 Rayns 

I have now managed to find a full copy of Edward's service record. :D 

I have been trying to decipher it and there is one bit that is imposable to read, it states on his conduct sheet:

July 15, 1917, offence of Showing disrespect to the Sovereign in that he did not stand to attention when the band was playing God save the King, it's the punishment I am struggling with I think it reads Prevented from having a night ????? Days.

Also on October 28, 1917, offence of Absent from 5.30am roll call until returning at 10.30pm same day. I think the punishment reads 28 days confined to barracks.

Could anyone suggest what punishments for these offences could probably be?

Cheers,

Pete

35 minutes ago, Harbourart said:

July 15, 1917, offence of Showing disrespect to the Sovereign in that he did not stand to attention when the band was playing God save the King, it's the punishment I am struggling with I think it reads Prevented from having a night ????? Days.

Also on October 28, 1917, offence of Absent from 5.30am roll call until returning at 10.30pm same day. I think the punishment reads 28 days confined to barracks.

Could anyone suggest what punishments for these offences could probably be?

Always useful if you could possibly post an image(s) please.

M

..... along with an attribution as to where said image was sourced from.

2 hours ago, Matlock1418 said:

Always useful if you could possibly post an image(s) please.

Sorry, yes I didn't think. Not sure you will be able not read it though as it is bleached out on the bit I am having trouble reading.

ted.jpg.15e6204f5f84d988c8f436372ea751d7.jpg

Image curtesy Ancestry 

50 minutes ago, Harbourart said:

Not sure you will be able not read it though as it is bleached out on the bit I am having trouble reading.

ted.jpg.15e6204f5f84d988c8f436372ea751d7.jpg

Have you tried a negative invert? [Know it should be possible, but I can't do techie stuff like that, and might help ???]

M

15 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

Have you tried a negative invert?

Yes i'm quite good with photoshop, i've tried it inverted, brightness & contrast, hue & saturation and a few other things too, nothing helped.

I was kind of hoping someone on here may have seen something similar before and take an educated guess. 

17 minutes ago, Harbourart said:

I was kind of hoping someone on here may have seen something similar before and take an educated guess. 

I also tried within my limits [which are great big ones] = very hard to read whichever way

28 days CB is a possibility - and perhaps a plausible punishment for 1917 in the UK ... but I can only see [possibly!] ... Days CB

M

Edited by Matlock1418
prune

5 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

I also tried within my limits

Thanks anyway M :D

Admonishment and Deduction of pay is a good shout as the last word could be pay not day?

12 minutes ago, Harbourart said:

Admonishment and Deduction of pay is a good shout as the last word could be pay not day?

:thumbsup: I pruned my last to remove that A&D bit as I thought possibly irrelvant because AWOL days [though he was a lucky fellow!] c/w a case of a few hours - but I think that much pay [28 days'??] may be rather a lot for an absence of a few hours ?? - probably more likely to be CB with a day's pay lost ?? [but I am not an expert on such disciplinary maters!!!]

M

Edited by Matlock1418

1 hour ago, Matlock1418 said:

:thumbsup: I pruned my last to remove that A&D bit as I thought possibly irrelvant because AWOL days [though he was a lucky fellow!] c/w a case of a few hours - but I think that much pay [28 days'??] may be rather a lot for an absence of a few hours ?? - probably more likely to be CB with a day's pay lost ?? [but I am not an expert on such disciplinary maters!!!]

M

Thanks again M I'll take another look with fresh eyes tomorrow  👀