The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Ww1 German transport trucks

Casques of WW1

Hi all!

I was recently started re-reading All Quiet on the western front and was struck by the continual mentioning of the ambiguous German “lorries”/transport trucks. Ive done some digging on ww1 transport trucks, as I planned to build one on Lego, but I couldn’t find a standard German model for which to use reference photos. I assume they likely used just regular trucks from the time, as well as the oddball rarities such as repurposed AV7 tank chassis, but was curious if anyone knew an actual model name or standard vehicle used for German troop transport  (1916-1918)? If so I’d love to know!

-chuck

4 hours ago, Casques of WW1 said:

Hi all!

I was recently started re-reading All Quiet on the western front and was struck by the continual mentioning of the ambiguous German “lorries”/transport trucks. Ive done some digging on ww1 transport trucks, as I planned to build one on Lego, but I couldn’t find a standard German model for which to use reference photos. I assume they likely used just regular trucks from the time, as well as the oddball rarities such as repurposed AV7 tank chassis, but was curious if anyone knew an actual model name or standard vehicle used for German troop transport  (1916-1918)? If so I’d love to know!

-chuck

Bussing, Adler, Faun, Ehrhardt, Dinos, Bergemann, Benz-Gaggenau, Durkopp, Dux, Daimler-Marienfelde, Stoewer, Vomag, Nacke, Hansa-Lloyd, MAN, LUC, NSU, Horch, Podeus, Opel, Mannesmann-Mulag, NAG, take your pick.         Pete.

Thank you for the list! Much appreciated! Shows how much I know about non tank German vehicles ;) 

I recommend the Typenkompas Militärfahrzeuge: 51b1J9ir59L._SY466_.jpg

Thank you both for the helpful responses. These should be very helpful on my transport truck research! I didn’t see much else on German transport vehicles and whatnot on the forum so perhaps this thread can be useful for people in the future with similar inquiries!