The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Stow Maries Great War Aerodrome needs support

stephen p nunn

There is a serious risk around the survival of Stow Maries Great War Aerodrome. Any support you can give would be much appreciated - financial or lobbying. Thank you. Stephen (Maldon).

stowletterclo.jpg

1 minute ago, stephen p nunn said:

There is a serious risk around the survival of Stow Maries Great War Aerodrome. Any support you can give would be much appreciated - financial or lobbying. Thank you. Stephen (Maldon).

stowletterclo.jpg

stowaerial.jpg

It's a shame that write-up is so confused: "The last surviving WW1 aerodrome"; " Europe's largest surviving First World War aerodrome" and "As a World War One Aerodrome in Europe...the last one of its kind". Some of those statements are pushing things a bit and devalue the argument. Yes it needs to be protected - that much is obvious, but don't create false superlatives to justify it.

I wish them well and hope it turns out for the better.

I’d like to see at least some of the old buildings at Netheravon preserved but they’re just being allowed to rot away…and the Officers’ Mess was habitable in my lifetime.

I wish Stow Maries the very best but it’s tough for small museums to compete with other attractions these days.

Ditto for Yatesbury; some WW1 stuff remains (hangars) but they are looking very vulnerable to weather etc. There is/was an unrestored WW1 hangar at Filton too, but it now seems to have been engulfed in development and I suspect it has quietly been demolished. Leighterton also has buildings which could be restored.

Rendcomb is often forgotten but is active, and probably the best example of a WW1 aerodrome in use.

12 hours ago, quemerford said:

It's a shame that write-up is so confused: "The last surviving WW1 aerodrome"; " Europe's largest surviving First World War aerodrome" and "As a World War One Aerodrome in Europe...the last one of its kind". Some of those statements are pushing things a bit and devalue the argument. Yes it needs to be protected - that much is obvious, but don't create false superlatives to justify it.

I wish them well and hope it turns out for the better.

From the official listing (Historic England):

....It is the largest known surviving group of RFC buildings on a WWI aerodrome

....this group of technical and regimental buildings is a complete example of a 1914-1918 RFC aerodrome with the associated infrastructure, parade ground and flying field.

No, argument is not "devalued".

2 hours ago, stephen p nunn said:

From the official listing (Historic England):

....It is the largest known surviving group of RFC buildings on a WWI aerodrome

....this group of technical and regimental buildings is a complete example of a 1914-1918 RFC aerodrome with the associated infrastructure, parade ground and flying field.

No, argument is not "devalued".

...and "Last surviving..."? Your argument is devalued by omission.

1 hour ago, quemerford said:

...and "Last surviving..."? Your argument is devalued by omission.

And you are rude. I haven't written "Last surviving"!!!

10 minutes ago, stephen p nunn said:

And you are rude. I haven't written "Last surviving"!!!

But you have only partially quoted my initial statement, declaring that the Stow Maries statement had not been devalued. I'm not being rude: just highlighting that Stow Maries' statement doesn't help by being a tad inaccurate. Apologies for any inference of rudeness on my part: I'm very passionate about preserving our aviation heritage, but we have to be very careful how we go about providing justification: we can't give people an opportunity to deviate from a valid argument by being able to pick holes.

Stow Maries needs to survive and thrive.

1 minute ago, quemerford said:

But you have only partially quoted my initial statement, declaring that the Stow Maries statement had not been devalued. I'm not being rude: just highlighting that Stow Maries' statement doesn't help by being a tad inaccurate. Apologies for any inference of rudeness on my part: I'm very passionate about preserving our aviation heritage, but we have to be very careful how we go about providing justification: we can't give people an opportunity to deviate from a valid argument by being able to pick holes.

Stow Maries needs to survive and thrive.

The statement is not mine - the letter is.

Yes I realise that: my comments were based on the statement made by Stow Maries, using their three superlatives describing the airfield. My subsequent comments were based on including all of those superlatives to ensure accuracy.

2 hours ago, quemerford said:

Yes I realise that: my comments were based on the statement made by Stow Maries, using their three superlatives describing the airfield. My subsequent comments were based on including all of those superlatives to ensure accuracy.

Try just being supportive of the survival of this GW asset.

This is what Dan Snow (a patron) has said about Stow.....

Mr Snow said: “This vital heritage site is an extraordinary place; a moment in time captured for posterity and commemoration. It must survive.

“Not only as a tribute to those that served in the conflict, but also as a salute to the early aviators that our nation relied upon across the 20th century.”

And again from Historic England:

"The most complete surviving example of a First World War Aerodrome in Europe. The site (is) of international significance...".

7 minutes ago, GROBBY said:

Lets have mega support not arguments  PLEASE

None here: our historic sites should not need to justify themselves. However if they do, we need to be objective and precise.

On 12/07/2024 at 16:58, GROBBY said:

Lets have mega support not arguments  PLEASE

Grobby is right - the important part is that Stow Maries Great War Aerodrome is in financial trouble through no fault of its own. Although the roads are now open again, SMGWA has taken a hit to the tune of £30k. For a site like Stow Maries that's make or break time. There are two ways people can help - 1: Visit, if at all possible please take a trip there. It's a great day out for all those with an interest in WW1 aviation - or 2: If you can't visit you could always make a donation to their GoFundMe page, https://www.gofundme.com/f/keep-the-story-alive where they are trying to raise £10k to help towards the deficit. We are fortunate to have such a place in Britain - let's not lose it. https://www.stowmaries.org.uk/

On 19/07/2024 at 11:36, Aspern said:

Grobby is right - the important part is that Stow Maries Great War Aerodrome is in financial trouble through no fault of its own. Although the roads are now open again, SMGWA has taken a hit to the tune of £30k. For a site like Stow Maries that's make or break time. There are two ways people can help - 1: Visit, if at all possible please take a trip there. It's a great day out for all those with an interest in WW1 aviation - or 2: If you can't visit you could always make a donation to their GoFundMe page, https://www.gofundme.com/f/keep-the-story-alive where they are trying to raise £10k to help towards the deficit. We are fortunate to have such a place in Britain - let's not lose it. https://www.stowmaries.org.uk/

Yes. Thank you for your input Aspern. There is some good news that, in this past week, there have been a number of 'new' visitors who had heard about Stow's plight and wanted to show their support - one lady visitor even presented a generous cheque. This is very promising and let's hope it continues. After all, this is; "the most complete surviving exampl;e of a First War Aerodrome in Europe" and is..."of international significance" (Historic England).

Regards.

Stephen (Maldon).

Just now, stephen p nunn said:

Yes. Thank you for your input Aspern. There is some good news that, in this past week, there have been a number of 'new' visitors who had heard about Stow's plight and wanted to show their support - one lady visitor even presented a generous cheque. This is very promising and let's hope it continues. After all, this is; "the most complete surviving exampl;e of a First War Aerodrome in Europe" and is..."of international significance" (Historic England).

Regards.

Stephen (Maldon).

That's terrific news Stephen. Hopefully others who can't make the trip find their way to the GoFundMe page. Every donation, of whatever amount, helps.

4 minutes ago, Aspern said:

That's terrific news Stephen. Hopefully others who can't make the trip find their way to the GoFundMe page. Every donation, of whatever amount, helps.

Yes indeed - and for those that can visit there is a Living History Weekend coming up (27 to 28/7/24) see here: https://www.stowmaries.org.uk/event/stow-maries-great-war-living-history-weekend-727449088807

Come on GWF Pals - let's make sure this place survives.

Thank you.

Stephen (Maldon).

stowmem.jpg

stowair.jpg

Great support from The Damcasters in the continued fight top save Stow Maries:

The Damcasters - The Aviation History Podcast (@damcasterspod) posted at 6:00 pm on Thu, Jul 25, 2024:
.@StowAero, the world's last intact #WW1 aerodrome, needs your help! Roadworks blocked access to the museum and hit its revenues. @Stow_ceo  joins us to tell us about Stow Maries' history and how you can help its future.

🎧 https://t.co/ZS8ZAPH4JG
📺 https://t.co/n7ClLqsYM2
(https://x.com/damcasterspod/status/1816518973459980561?t=IdgNFFvVMx_SGJ_PKkroaw&s=03

2 hours ago, GROBBY said:

Thank you Stephen .I will now do my bit to help :thumbsup:

Brilliant - thanks Grobby. Best regards. Stephen (Maldon).

21 hours ago, stephen p nunn said:

Great support from The Damcasters in the continued fight top save Stow Maries:

The Damcasters - The Aviation History Podcast (@damcasterspod) posted at 6:00 pm on Thu, Jul 25, 2024:
.@StowAero, the world's last intact #WW1 aerodrome, needs your help! Roadworks blocked access to the museum and hit its revenues. @Stow_ceo  joins us to tell us about Stow Maries' history and how you can help its future.

🎧 https://t.co/ZS8ZAPH4JG
📺 https://t.co/n7ClLqsYM2
(https://x.com/damcasterspod/status/1816518973459980561?t=IdgNFFvVMx_SGJ_PKkroaw&s=03

Excellent publicity - big thank you to The Damcasters.