The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Special Reservist Died of Alcoholic Poisoning at the end of December 1914: How could it have happened?

rolt968

2 hours ago, Gunner Bailey said:

There were a few cases where individual soldiers drank a large proportion of an SRD jar and died. There was once a case where a man downed a few gulps from an SRD jar and died but in that instance the contents were disinfectant. 

Interesting I'm findg out about sources of alcohol which I didn't know about.

1 hour ago, mancpal said:

I understand that SRD jars could contain any number of liquids, a bit like a water container that had previously contained fuel. As someone who has learned a little about addiction over many years (friends and family) his ‘problem/illness’ may have been completely unknown to those closest to him. Addicts are frequently devious though not necessarily bad people.

Simon

I take the point about an illness unknown to his family. I wonder in some circles if people were more tolersnt of drinking then than people are now.

RM

I have checked the local newspapers. There is one report. According to that he was wounded on the day CWGC says he died and died of his wounds the following day. That explains what it says on the war memorial.

The report begins with "Intimation has been received........".

RM

The three classifications I have seen on SDGW are

• "Killed in action", or else
  • "Died of wounds"
  • else the catch-all of "Died"

I have come across men who have drowned on troopships, for whom the third category has been used.

This above scenario clearly does not apply to our man, who arrived in France on 24 November 1914, and died 31 December 1914 through what would I describe as misadventure.

Regarding his previous service,

He enlisted, to serve 7 years with the colours and 5 with the reserve, but spent nearly 8 years with the colours. His overseas service ended on 2 August 1895, and I believe he was quarantined from 3 August to 8 August 1895. (I presume he was at the discharge depot, Fort Brockhurst at Gosport, just down the coast from Netley, for these several days.) On this date, he was transferred to the Army Reserve Section B, and was to remain there until 11 September 1899, twelve years completed. 

Interesting to note that he was Time Expired prior to the start of the Boer War, and that he did not extend his time in the Army Reserve.

12 minutes ago, Keith_history_buff said:

Regarding his previous service,

He enlisted, to serve 7 years with the colours and 5 with the reserve, but spent nearly 8 years with the colours. His overseas service ended on 2 August 1895, and I believe he was quarantined from 3 August to 8 August 1895. (I presume he was at the discharge depot, Fort Brockhurst at Gosport, just down the coast from Netley, for these several days.) On this date, he was transferred to the Army Reserve Section B, and was to remain there until 11 September 1899, twelve years completed. 

Interesting to note that he was Time Expired prior to the start of the Boer War, and that he did not extend his time in the Army Reserve.

Thanks, Keith, I misread his record. I had originally read it more or less that way. Then for some reason I changed my mind!