The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Service records of soldiers

phoenixfly7

Hello I am researching my family history and have got a lot of ancestors that died in the First and Second world wars, my question is please does the MOD have WW1 service records of the soldiers or have they transferred them to the TNA

If so do I do a Freedom of information or is it paid researched to get the records? 

Many Thanks

Den

I am surprised that no one has yet mentioned it. Many WW1 service records were lost in WW2 when the storage facility in London was hit by an incendiary bomb during the blitz. Whatever records survived, often called the burnt papers, are available through the National Archives. Three main ways of researching your WW1 relatives. The attestation and service papers (if they still exist), medal cards and rolls (limited information here but can reveal their regiment, service number and period of service) and unit war diaries. WW2 paperwork has not been released for general consumption (yet) but I believe that access can be made available to next of kin (but not to any old relative that asks). As a starter go to "The Long, Long Trail" by clicking the topic in the heading and this will gently help you through. I hope that this helps.

Edited by Jim Strawbridge

• Admin

Surviving records are also on Ancestry and Find My Past, subscription sites. 

Although Ancestry and FMP are subscription services, you may find your local library has free access (assuming you live in the UK).  

Do you have any details of your family members (names, birth dates, where they lived, regimental numbers, photos etc)?  If so, feel free to post them and the wonderful GWF family may help get you started.

Good luck with your research!

Edited by Buffnut453

There are one or two exceptions to the loss of soldiers' service records in World war 2. All the foot guards regiments kept copies of their soldiers' records. The records of the Grenadier, Coldstream, Irish and Welsh Guards have been transferred to the National Archives at Kew and should be available eventually. The Scots Guards records are available through Find My Past.

A number of unit attestation registers are available in places. The Scots Guards register is available through Find my Past.

RM

• Admin
3 hours ago, Buffnut453 said:

Although Ancestry and FMP are subscription services, you may find your local library has free access (assuming you live in the UK).  

Do you have any details of your family members (names, birth dates, where they lived, regimental numbers, photos etc)?  If so, feel free to post them and the wonderful GWF family may help get you started.

Good luck with your research!

Presumably these men

Thanks everyone for all the information, I will researching them on Ancestry and posting all I know about the soldiers later. Thanks again

If there is a surviving service record for a WW1 fatality, you will be able to view it online via FindMyPast, Ancestry or similar. I see you have a list of WW1 fatalities on the other thread. The records for the deceased and the demobilised were transferred to the central location at Arnside Street in the interwar years, as I understand it.

For those British Army other ranks' soldiers whose service continued past 1920, they were retained by the Ministry of Defence, but are in a state of transition as they are transferred to The National Archives UK.

Thanks to everyone, got lots of info will start researching them.