The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Where are the original Scots Guards service records?

rolt968

The Scots Guards service records and attestion registers are available online through Find my Past.

Does anyone know where the original (hard copy) records are? Have they gone to the National Archives with the other Guards records?

RM

1 minute ago, MaureenE said:

The records are still with the Scots Guards  Archives https://scotsguards.org/archives/

Maureen

I have a nagging recollection that they are the only Guards regiment to have kept their archives in house.  I’m curious as to why that is as I’d imagined that the Guards Division would follow a unified policy. 

8 hours ago, MaureenE said:

The records are still with the Scots Guards  Archives https://scotsguards.org/archives/

Maureen

7 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

I have a nagging recollection that they are the only Guards regiment to have kept their archives in house.  I’m curious as to why that is as I’d imagined that the Guards Division would follow a unified policy. 

Thank you both.

I am trying to remember exactly when the records first appeared on Find my Past. I suspect that the arrangement at least, was made before it was decided that the other Guards records would go to the National Archives.

It is tempring to wonder if there is/was some thinking that the Scots Guards records might go to the National Records of Scotland.

I am glad to know where they are.

I have always prefered to know where the originals of digitised and micrfiched/filmed records since many many years ago when I found that the RAF airman's index cards were on microfiche at the National Archives but they did not have the originals. (And the microfiche containing the card which I wanted to see was illegible.)

RM