The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Can anyone help me find my Great granddads regiment?

Ryliez

So all we have is a picture but it is really bad quality, if anyone can try and identify the cap badge it would be amazing! 
He was born in Ipswich, England in 1881, i am thinking this is around the 1900 mark.
 thank you.

ggd.jpg

Can you share his name, full date of birth etc?  It might help provide solid evidence as Forum experts put forward ideas.

The name will help alot.

That style of cap date it to 1900-1905 era.

See here-

https://collection.nam.ac.uk/detail.php?acc=1973-04-30-1

He looks to be a bandsman. It looks to be a drummers patch on his right sleeve. I suspect he may be Royal Marines.

Scott

Edited by Waddell
Added more.

The badge might fir for Royal Marines, but not the facings - collar and cuffs

• Admin

As has been already stated, a name would be enormously helpful. So many new members post requests for help, but miss out the most important bits of information . There are some very knowledgeable members here who can probably help, but we do need more to go on, not just a photo. Calling up the experts @FROGSMILE and @CorporalPunishment to see if they can help more with the uniform ID. 

He’s a drummer in undress wearing a 7-button home service frock with white facings.  Regiment is thus English or Welsh Line without Royal appellation.  Cap badge on universal forage cap (Brodick) is circular but no detail visible, so could be one of several, SWB**, Essex, Dorset, etc.  Knowing more about his origins would at least give a steer, although regulars could and did join any and all regiments regardless of where they came from.

** caveat: returned to green facings in 1905.

Edited by FROGSMILE

I tried some Topaz Photo AI but the photo is rather too far gone to recover much. It may help.

Howard

Victsoldier-topaz-faceai-enhance-5.jpg

Edited by Howard

13 minutes ago, Howard said:

I tried some Topaz Photo AI but the photo is rather too far gone to recover much. It may help.

Howard

Victsoldier-topaz-faceai-enhance-5.jpg

It has helped Howard because it seems to have accentuated some visual aspects including what appears to be a gap (aperture) at bottom centre of the cap badge.  On that basis alone the Essex Regiment seems favourite pending any further information from the inquirer.

IMG_5430.jpeg

IMG_5431.jpeg

IMG_5433.jpeg

IMG_5434.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Good it is of some use. AI is trained on many images so here Topaz has inserted what it thinks is right so it might be an artefact from its training data.

The 4 times image is from Photoshop simply enlarging the cap from the original plus one with a curves adjustment for contrast.

Howard

Victsoldier-cap-topaz-enhance-4x.jpg

Victsoldier-cap.jpg

Victsoldier-cap 4 times.jpg

Victsoldier-cap 4 times with curves.jpg

Posted (edited)

Hi, thanks for the replies his name was Mower robert gray and he was born 13th June 1881 

I am sorry I didn't put his name before:( 

You have all been amazing so far!!! Thank you all!!

Edited by Ryliez

Ancestry has a Robert Mower Born Ipswich 1881 KIA 1917, but with 2nd Btn Devonshire Rgt......which from memory has the castle as its badge...... but i think is surrounded by a star so this may be a red herring @FROGSMILEet al will know

Did Robert Mower survive?

Hey, thanks for looking his death certificate says he  died 17th Feb 1964.  (Sorry for the bad information I am getting it from my mum as its asked) 

No problem that's one discounted

15 minutes ago, Ryliez said:

Hey, thanks for looking his death certificate says he  died 17th Feb 1964.

?? -- I can't find a death registration for him. Where did he die please?

Edit -- I take it that his surname is GRAY, given names of Mower Robert. Born in Ipswich.

Edited by Allan1892

2 hours ago, adrian 1008 said:

Ancestry has a Robert Mower Born Ipswich 1881 KIA 1917, but with 2nd Btn Devonshire Rgt......which from memory has the castle as its badge...... but i think is surrounded by a star so this may be a red herring @FROGSMILEet al will know

Did Robert Mower survive?

The uniform and facings fit until after the Boer war when they reverted to green, but yes the cap badge was a very distinctive and smart star shape that I cannot see in this image.  Perhaps he  joined over the border in Dorset.

Alternatively and more logically the Suffolk Regiment makes a good fit badge wise and is his local county regiment too.  It might be an slightly earlier pattern badge than the one that I’ve shown depending upon date, but I think the Suffolks are favourites all things considered.

Again the facing colour (collar, cuffs and regimental colours) reverted after the Boer War and in the case of the Suffolk Regiment returned to bright yellow.

images from proprietary search engine.

IMG_5435.jpeg

IMG_5437.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

2 hours ago, Allan1892 said:

?? -- I can't find a death registration for him. Where did he die please?

Edit -- I take it that his surname is GRAY, given names of Mower Robert. Born in Ipswich.

There's a death registration for a Mower R Gray in Rochford, Essex in 1964.  Based on the info provided by the OP, I presume that's our man.

55 minutes ago, Buffnut453 said:

There's a death registration for a Mower R Gray in Rochford, Essex in 1964.  Based on the info provided by the OP, I presume that's our man.

Essex Regiment still in with a chance then 👍

@Ryliez -- could the attached article from the East Anglian Daily Times, 4th May 1894 be your man? I know that the age is out a little but apart from his father, I can't see any the Mower Gray living in Ipswich.

(image courtesy of Find My Past)

Gray_Mower.jpg

22 minutes ago, Allan1892 said:

@Ryliez -- could the attached article from the East Anglian Daily Times, 4th May 1894 be your man? I know that the age is out a little but apart from his father, I can't see any the Mower Gray living in Ipswich.

(image courtesy of Find My Past)

Gray_Mower.jpg

That could of been him, I asked my mum and she said it could possibly be but obviously not 100% sure.

2 hours ago, Buffnut453 said:

Yes that's him!! 

2 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

The uniform and facings fit until after the Boer war when they reverted to green, but yes the cap badge was a very distinctive and smart star shape that I cannot see in this image.  Perhaps he  joined over the border in Dorset.

Alternatively and more logically the Suffolk Regiment makes a good fit badge wise and is his local county regiment too.  It might be an slightly earlier pattern badge than the one that I’ve shown depending upon date, but I think the Suffolks are favourites all things considered.

Again the facing colour (collar, cuffs and regimental colours) reverted after the Boer War and in the case of the Suffolk Regiment returned to bright yellow.

images from proprietary search engine.

IMG_5435.jpeg

IMG_5437.jpeg

This could be, as he was around the ipswich area for a lot of his life.