The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

5th Seaforth Highlanders MM missing index card.

o j kirby

Hello troops,

I have been researching into the 9 Military Medalists named in the 5th Seaforth Highlanders Battalion war diary of 20th August, after the opening of the offensive on 31st July 1917. Ribbons were presented on the 21st. All names appear in the London Gazette dated 25th September 1917. Out of those named, one individual has no Medal index card. He is 241952 Cpl. J. Sutherland. I may assume that he might have had the four figure number of 6211 as the numbers either side are 6210, ( 241950 ), and 6212, ( 241953 ).

The Daily casualty lists reveal: 21/12/1917 Sutherland 241952, L/Sgt. J ( Wick ), wounded, and also wounded daily list of 1/5/1918, Sutherland 241952, L/Sgt J ( Keiss ). Both placenames are in Caithness.

Can anyone offer any reason for the lack of an index card, and and further information on J Sutherland would be most welcome.

Many thanks,

Owain.

Sutherland 241952 does also have an MM card.

TEW

• Admin
6 minutes ago, TEW said:

Sutherland 241952 does also have an MM card.

TEW

Yes that is the one I linked to above.

Thanks for the information and for taking the time to look for archives. Hopefully I can build on this story.

Cheers,

Owain.

On 21/07/2024 at 13:03, DavidOwen said:

Image download below:

On 21/07/2024 at 12:57, o j kirby said:

Out of those named, one individual has no Medal index card. He is 241952 Cpl. J. Sutherland. I may assume that he might have had the four figure number of 6211 as the numbers either side are 6210, ( 241950 ), and 6212, ( 241953 ).

Your assumption seems likely. It looks like his service medals were never issued? Medal roll - TNA:

Sutherland.png

Sutherland MR.png

Hello,

Many thanks for the information. Any suggestions as to the answer for this? Clerical error, medals forfeited or refused? Perhaps we will never know.

Owain.

• Admin

I have checked the Police Gazette to see if he was a deserter and the only J Sutherland of the Seaforth Highlanders listed has a DOB of 1900 so unlikely to be him.

• Admin

Just to prove records do exist of him under his MM number here is a record of him being wounded 21 March 1918 (courtesy FMP)

image.png

image.png

Hi David,

Thanks for checking that. As a general question, do we have any GWF members in Caithness who have conducted research or have access to newspaper archives? Other than the MM award, we do know that he was reported wounded in December 1917 which I could assume at Cambrai, and later reported in May 1918 which must have been during the Spring Offensive. on both occasions he was listed as 241952 L/Sgt J Sutherland. There will have been quite a few Sutherlands in the 5th Seaforths though.

Owain.

1 minute ago, DavidOwen said:

Just to prove records do exist of him under his MM number here is a record of him being wounded 21 March 1918 (courtesy FMP)

image.png

image.png

Hello again,

That was quick! I had just typed and submitted my previous reply the very second that your information appeared on my screen! Many thanks for that. It adds to the story.

Cheers,

Owain.