The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

*gulp* I bought some medals

seaJane

12 hours ago, seaJane said:

Dorothy Loughlin died in 1960 and probate was granted (according to the Government's probate search site) to Patrick Loughlin. On using FreeBMD and FamilySearch I find that Patrick Loughlin was born in Eastry in 1919 to someone whose maiden name was Towner.

Dorothy Towner married a Thaddeus Loughlin, civil records, Eastry District, Quarter 2, 1918, Volume 2A, Page 2300

The 1921 Census shows Thaddeus and Dorothy living in Deal, Kent. No sign of of Patrick Loughlin.

A search finds Patrick living in Deal with his grand parents, Edward George Towner and his wife Margaret Jane

The 1921 Census transcription entry for Thaddeus gives his year of birth as 1847 -- the actual census form shows that he was 24 years and 3 months old, (Dorothy's year of birth is recorded as 1900) -- he died on the 26th June 1949. Administration of his estate was granted to his Widow, Dorothy.

The conclusion is that Dorothy Towner was a different lady to Dorothy Ellwood.

Edited by Allan1892

There must be a link between Thaddeus' father, Patrick (born circa 1874) and Dermot's father Thomas (born circa 1855) -- both fathers were born in Ireland.

Trying to come up with a link between the two fathers, I find (in the 1911 Census) that Dermot's father was an 'Inspector Of Customs and Excise 1St Class' this led me to the British Civil Service Evidence of Age database which records his date of birth as 22/9/1854 and place of birth as Castlewarren, Kilkenny, Ireland.

Now need to try and find where Thaddeus' father was born and hopefully find a link between the two.

The fact that both Dorothys and Dermot Loughlin and Patrick Loughlin have Eastry connections is overloading my brain slightly :huh:

and then there's Daisy 

16 hours ago, seaJane said:

I've known for a while that Dermot Loughlin (1886-1946) married Dorothy Ellwood in Eastry, Kent, in 1917.

One small correction, he was born in 1885, rather than 1886, his birth being registered in the last quarter of 1885 in Basingstoke, Hampshire.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2XG6-NG3

He is then fairly easy to trace in the 1891, 1901, and 1911 England and Wales censuses, which show how much his family moved around as he grew up, both from where he was in each census, as well as where his siblings were born.

In the 1891 census he and his family are living in Middleton, Lancashire. The only birth of a Thaddeus Loughlin in England that I can find that matches the age of the individual who married Dorothy Towner in 1919 and was aged 24 years and three months in the 1921 census is the one who's birth was registered in the second quarter of 1897 in Chorley, Lancashire. I wonder if that's where a possible connection might be? The two families, however, seem to have been moving in quite different social strata, so it's hard to see where such a connection might originate from, if we believe that son Patrick from Thaddeus and Dorothy's marriage is the same Patrick as the one named in Dorothy's 1960 probate.

Thank you!