The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Looking for info re a telescope case

SuzBevNet

Hi

I work in a recycling yard and a few years ago we found a leather tube covered in mud which had been thrown away. 

I cleaned it up and have done some research over the years to find out what it is. 

The tube is 23 inches long exc the strap. With a panel strap on the side which would attach to a horses harness

The top of the tube is stamped

CASE TEL F.A. Mk 1

Whippy

London

I have discovered it is a field artillery telescope case which would have been fixed to a horses harness. Sadly the telescope is missing. 

I'm looking at trying to source a replacement telescope but want to ensure it's an authentic match. There seems to be a lot of telescopes around but I'm not sure which one I'm looking for. A lot of them seem to be marine ones and this case is definitely field artillery 

I'm hoping that someone on this forum will be able to help point me in the right direction on the make/type of telescope I need. 

Thank you so much for any help you can give

I've attached a couple of photos

PXL_20240724_202809984.jpg

PXL_20240724_202841056.jpg

Edited by SuzBevNet
Grammer

THIS THREAD MIGHT HELP I believe it covers the type of telescope you will be after and contains a number of examples if it is the standard spotting scope.

@MikB the thread's starter can probably give you chapter and verse.

I wonder if, as it is marked FA (Field Artillery) it might be for a telescopic sight for a gun rather than a spotting scope?

Chris

Edited by 4thGordons
typo

6 hours ago, 4thGordons said:

THIS THREAD MIGHT HELP I believe it covers the type of telescope you will be after and contains a number of examples if it is the standard spotting scope.

@MikB the thread's starter can probably give you chapter and verse.

I wonder if, as it is marked FA (Field Artillery) it might be for a telescopic sight for a gun rather than a spotting scope?

Chris

The Telescope, Signalling which is the subject of that thread has its own integral endcaps and straps, and the case pictured doesn't look as if it'd easily fit it, either.

The is also a Telescope, Field Artillery as mentioned in the initial posting, but IME these are far rarer than Signalling scopes. I've seen them occasionally on the bay, and those in good condition have usually fetched high prices - I think they were Mk.Vs. IIRC they are of 2" aperture or thereabouts, and have a parallel main body as distinct from tapered, and two drawtubes. I don't think I've been aware of a separate case for these before. I'm sorry not to be of more help.

Just found this one as an example, by an excellent maker - already sold. 

https://bentleyslondon.com/products/wwi-leather-covered-brass-telescope

Edited by MikB

Your case appears to be the pattern for the "Variable Power" telescope Mk I and Mk II. These were used by Garison Artillery and Heavy Field Artillery as spotting scopes.  These illustrations are from the "Handbook of Artillery Instruments 1914"

The most common WW1 telescopes coming on the market are sighting telescopes (telescopes which fit directly to an artillery piece for direct fire sighting), there are lots of different models of these both Army & Navy. Next are the "Telescope Signalling & General Service", again there are several different models of these and some detailed threads have been published on the Forum covering these. The Field Artillery and Garrison Artillery telescopes turn up occasionally, usually quite expensive as they are vey "pretty" telescopes, particularly if they are with the correct tripod.

I have not seen a "Variable Power" telescope, but I have never really been looking for one.

image.jpeg.f3e7542034fc6de18fb093edb00dd99c.jpeg

image.jpeg.340573237547fb6fb26822b781852fd6.jpeg

image.jpeg.f3e7542034fc6de18fb093edb00dd99c.jpeg

There is another thread on the forum with an example of the relevant scope

Not sure if this is the correct scope and tripod you are after. I have no connection to the vendor so you must do your own research. No idea about the price whether its cheap or way over the top.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/296381298753   

Edited by Chasemuseum