The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Sedan American cemetery

I’m trying to find Sedan American cemetery.    My great Uncle was supposedly buried there.

He was killed in that area 7 November 1918.    He may have been reinterred to a family burial plot in central Indiana.

ambc has been non responsive to my inquiries 

5 hours ago, Duck79 said:

I’m trying to find Sedan American cemetery.    My great Uncle was supposedly buried there.

He was killed in that area 7 November 1918.    He may have been reinterred to a family burial plot in central Indiana.

ambc has been non responsive to my inquiries 

As far as I'm aware there is no US cemetery at Sedan, although there may, of course, have been a temporary one.

ABMC know very little about anything and nothing whatever about men not buried in any of the official cemeteries - believe me, I have suffered their 'help'.

Your best bet is to go to Findagrave website. There you can interrogate by name, cemetery, State and others things. I have found a lot of military graves on that site.

34 minutes ago, healdav said:

As far as I'm aware there is no US cemetery at Sedan, although there may, of course, have been a temporary one.

ABMC know very little about anything and nothing whatever about men not buried in any of the official cemeteries - believe me, I have suffered their 'help'.

Your best bet is to go to Findagrave website. There you can interrogate by name, cemetery, State and others things. I have found a lot of military graves on that site.

Hello,

Somewhere online, one could find the file cards of the old American graves. In Flanders Fields Museum did something with those from Flanders. Now, if only I could remember how to find the website containing the file cards...

Jan

• Admin
8 minutes ago, AOK4 said:

Hello,

Somewhere online, one could find the file cards of the old American graves. In Flanders Fields Museum did something with those from Flanders. Now, if only I could remember how to find the website containing the file cards...

Jan

Here you go Jan American WWI Burial Cards - Zooniverse (wjh.us)

12 minutes ago, DavidOwen said:

YES! I was googling without much result in the meantime and slowly getting frustrated that I had lost the link...

This online archive may be useful as well: https://catalog.archives.gov/id/12007376

If he was indeed reburied in Indiana, you might be able to find him on postwar return lists. These documents are available on Ancestry, see example below. The US military sends its dead as regular passengers so at first glance it can be hard to tell that it is in fact a body coming back.

If the family requested a military headstone at the cemetery in Indiana, there may be documentation related to that as well. I would also suggest searching the LOC's Chronicling America collection. I have found articles in local newspapers about the funerals of soldiers who were reinterred at home.

Screenshot2024-07-25at10_43_28.png.4605950695998951ff332caab71709fd.png

Photo courtesy of Ancestry

And again a new member who asks a question and doesn't bother to thank for the answers or let anything now afterwards... It's one of the reasons why I'm very reluctant to answer newbie questions.

Thanks, I managed to fill in some gaps with my Great Uncle. 

• Admin
On 27/07/2024 at 15:48, AOK4 said:

And again a new member who asks a question and doesn't bother to thank for the answers or let anything now afterwards... It's one of the reasons why I'm very reluctant to answer newbie questions.

@Duck79