The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Canadian Government Property Markings Bayonets

navydoc16

I’m just doing a bit of a clean up of a couple Canadian 1907 pieces and I realised that I have several with slightly different ownership markings. 

Does anyone understand or can comment on WW1 styles of ownership markings vs later styles marked during WW2 ect. 

kind regards

g

D134742D-37B5-4726-98ED-1C34A0326619.jpeg

881EEADC-0A54-4AD2-BF6F-A6D2BCE81BFD.jpeg

6E5BBE1A-6A3A-4633-969D-3B09A659BCA9.jpeg

Edited by navydoc16

Really interesting thread @navydoc16!

I've looked into these markings before and noticed a pattern. I'll put it here so you might throw in your thoughts. Here's my pattern analysis.

I believe the C with an smaller arrow inside was marked on the 67,000 SMLEs and bayonets that returned with the CEF back to Canada after seeing use by them in the trenches. These rifles and bayonets were already in their possession and were marked with the C and arrow in Canada after they returned. Quite a lot of the equipment is 1915-1917 vintage.

The C with the larger arrow was marked in Britain before the journey to Canada. In 1920-21, another 49,000 SMLEs and bayonets were sent to Canada from Britain under the Imperial Ordnance Program and much like Australian items, were marked before the departure as they were on contract so to speak. I've observed quite a few bayonets and rifles with a 1918 manufacture date on them and that's what got my mind thinking about the differences in dates and stamps.

Interesting to note that at the end of hostilities, Australia handed in all its equipment but Canada didn't have an organic SMLE manufacture so wanted to take enough rifles and bayonets home with them to arm it's military immediately.

Edited by Mattr82

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Mattr82 said:

I believe the C with an smaller arrow inside was marked on the 67,000 SMLEs and bayonets that returned with the CEF back to Canada after seeing use by them in the trenches. These rifles and bayonets were already in their possession and were marked with the C and arrow in Canada after they returned. Quite a lot of the equipment is 1915-1917 vintage.

The C with the larger arrow was marked in Britain before the journey to Canada. In 1920-21, another 49,000 SMLEs and bayonets were sent to Canada from Britain under the Imperial Ordnance Program and much like Australian items, were marked before the departure as they were on contract so to speak. I've observed quite a few bayonets and rifles with a 1918 manufacture date on them and that's what got my mind thinking about the differences in dates and stamps.

Thanks mate, I’ll have a look and post some better photos, but I’m pretty sure the dates on these are all 17 and 18 on the ones I have. very similar to the Australian and South African stuff from the IOP

the broad arrow in the C is the same style of marking seen on the Ross bayonets and scabbards, but not the same as the one on my Canadian M1917 bayonet which I know was marked during WW2

one marking is similar to what you find on the Ross scabbard and the other is what I have seen on the Ross bayonet. 

kind regards

g

Edited by navydoc16

I think that the C with the smaller broad arrow was phased out possibly in the late 1920s or 1930s and the more commonly seen larger arrow in the C soon became the norm (As seen on No.4s etc).

That’s the Ross there 

And two ‘18 and a ‘17 with two seperate stamps 

kind regards

g

2A05230A-5141-4776-A364-30B1D2736FC2.jpeg

C7F0C802-F13E-47A7-87FF-9C36F6104EC8.jpeg

There's certainly a bit of variety in the Canadian Broad Arrow markings. I have seen the two types on the Ross bayonets.

I'm unsure why the Ross bayonets are marked differently but I think the difference on SMLEs and P1907s is down to my earlier theories.