The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

World War One German Unit Description

roblt

I am new to the forum and hope I have started correctly. I am looking at what I believe to be my grandfather's World War One record which gives the following details. Unausbedildet Am 16.9.15 zur 3 Komp II.E/15 versetzt. I would appreciate if someone could tell me what this means in terms of his Army service and if possible where I might find his full army record.

31 minutes ago, roblt said:

Unausbedildet

Hi,

it should read unausgebildet (=untrained). The whole sentence means that he did not serve before being drafted and entered the II. Ersatzbataillon (II. reinforcement battailion) of Infantrie Regiment 15. The regiment was garrisoned in Minden,  the 2nd reinforcement battailon in Herford. As it was a Prussian regiment, all documents w regard to his military career have been lost due to the destruction of the Prussian military archive in 1945.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

Thank you for your prompt response. I gather that he was in the 3rd Company of that unit.

Or if he was taken prisoner there are records from the Red Cross https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/File/Search

Do you have any other information about his military service? If you want to provide his name, date of birth, home town etc. it might be possible to help you further.

Charlie

Hello,

@roblt If you want a full answer, you will have to give all you have. E/15 can really be a bit of everything...

Jan

If he was transferred to the IR 15 this is the book on its history in WW1:

Riebensahm, Gustav, Infanterie-Regiment Prinz Friedrich der Niederlande (2. Westfälisches) Nr. 15 im Weltkrieg 1914-18; 1931, Minden, Selbstverlag Bund ehemaliger Angehöriger des IR 15; 504 Seiten (116 Fotos und 29 Karten).

If he was transferred to IR 369, for which II E/15 was also supplying reenforcments, this is the unit´s history, available online:

1. Hans Schuster; Joseph Goertz: Geschichte des Infanterie-Regiment Nr.369 [4] , Erinnerungsblätter Preussen; Bd. 255, Oldenburg 1928, Stalling, 168 Seiten: WLB-Online
Edited by GreyC

2 minutes ago, GreyC said:

If he was transferred to the IR 15 this is the book on its history in WW1:

Riebensahm, Gustav, Infanterie-Regiment Prinz Friedrich der Niederlande (2. Westfälisches) Nr. 15 im Weltkrieg 1914-18; 1931, Minden, Selbstverlag Bund ehemaliger Angehöriger des IR 15; 504 Seiten (116 Fotos und 29 Karten).

If he was transferred to IR 369, for which II E/15 was also supplying reenforcments, this is the unit´s history, available online:

1. Hans Schuster; Joseph Goertz: Geschichte des Infanterie-Regiment Nr.369 [4] , Erinnerungsblätter Preussen; Bd. 255, Oldenburg 1928, Stalling, 168 Seiten: WLB-Online

Let's wait. It can be a Bavarian unit, he might have been transferred to yet another unit... If people want to know something, they should give everything they have, otherwise one is just stabbing in the dark.

Thank you all for your suggestions and information. All the details that I have wee listed in the original post that I made.

Surely you must know his name, but if don‘t want to reveal it thats up to you.

Charlie

Hermann Robl, sorry I did not realise that I had not included it previously

That´s a Bavarian name, so the Bavarian IR 15 does come into play as already mentioned by Jan.

If anyone has access to ancestry, you might find information about his military career.

GreyC

With the name Robl one would as GreyC has written, expect him to be a Bavarian serving in a Bavarian unit. 59 of the 65 entries in the casualty lists are for Bavarian units - he is not among them.

The only Hermann Rodl I can find in the Stammrollen served with 3. Kompagnie Armierungs Bataillon 13.

May I ask what is the source of your information, it reads very much like an extract from a service record.

Charlie

Charlie, my error. I am working on two guys. This one was Otto Robl. Born 10 August 1894 in Munich.  In Bavaria, Germany World War OnePersonnel Rosters 1914-1918 his details are as follows; unausgebildet AM 16.9/1915 zur 3 Komp II.E-/15 vbersetzt

Thank you, the right name helps a lot :)

He was wounded in the abdomen on 26.12.1916 by artillery fire at Filipesti, he died the next day at 8pm at Sanitäts Kompagnie 39 of the 217th Division and was buried in the cemetery at Neu Gaiseanka. He was serving with No.5 Company KB 3. Infanterie Regiment

https://des.genealogy.net/search/show/5599154

Charlie

Edited by charlie2
Spelling mistake corrected thanks to AOK4

30 minutes ago, roblt said:

Charlie, my error. I am working on two guys. This one was Otto Robl. Born 10 August 1894 in Munich.  In Bavaria, Germany World War OnePersonnel Rosters 1914-1918 his details are as follows; unausgebildet AM 16.9/1915 zur 3 Komp II.E-/15 vbersetzt

This information from the beginning would have saved a lot of trouble and would have avoided GreyC of given wrong advice...

I don't understand why everyone is so reluctant to share everything they have from the beginning.

The personnel files are available on ancestry.de (paying subscription) or in the military archives in Munich and ancestry can possibly accessed for free in quite a few libraries in Germany as well.

14 minutes ago, charlie2 said:

Thank you, the right name helps a lot :)

He was wounded in the abdomen on 26.12.1916 by artillery fire at Filipesli, he died the next day at 8pm at Sanitäts Kompagnie 39 of the 217th Division and was buried in the cemetery at Neu Gaiseanka. He was serving with No.5 Company KB 3. Infanterie Regiment

https://des.genealogy.net/search/show/5599154

Charlie

Small correction: it should be Filipesti (there are several in Roumania).

1 minute ago, AOK4 said:

Small correction: it should be Filipesti (there are several in Roumania).

Thank you, my mistake. The Denkmal Project gives the place where he was wounded as Rimnicul-Sarat. Perhaps that could help identifying which Filipesti.

http://denkmalprojekt.org/newsearch/data.php?id=220343

Charlie

Then it's probably 817156 Filipesti, with Surdila-Gaiseanca nearby.

I‘m guessing Roblt has Ancestry access but cannot read the handwriting. Not a problem, others can.

Thank you for all the information. I am overwhelmed. The Otto that I was looking at being my Grandfather it turn out was not because he survived the First World War. So I am back to the drawing board. But again thank you all for your hewlp.

14 minutes ago, roblt said:

Thank you for all the information. I am overwhelmed. The Otto that I was looking at being my Grandfather it turn out was not because he survived the First World War. So I am back to the drawing board. But again thank you all for your hewlp.

What do you know about your actual grandfather?  If you outline all you know, his full name, his date of birth, his place of birth.  Where was he raised? His original home town.  The accurate genealogy must be the start point.  Then the experts on the WW1 era German military can help you trace any service that there might have been. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 hour ago, roblt said:

So I am back to the drawing board

What evidence do you have that he served in the German army in WW1 ? Postcards, letters, photos etc or is it just family lore?