The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Somme 15th September 1916> 3rd NZ Rifle Brigade

HenryT

Good afternoon All. Having the surname of Treadwell a friend sent me this picture of a grave stone in Wellington New Zealand. I have since done some research and visited the grave of Arthur Treadwell At Heilly Station cemetery. To be honest one of the most grim cemeteries with two and tree to many of the graves. I intend to return early in September and go to the NZ memorial near Flers. I have managed to get some info but if anyone has and specific details of Arthur Treadwell's exact unit I would be appreciated. 

Unit as far as understand is B Coy, 2nd Bn 3rd New Zealand Rifle Brigade. Trench map of 15th Sept would be amazing. Many thanks for your assistance. 

Treadwell Headstone Wellington NZ.jpeg

23 hours ago, HenryT said:

Trench map of 15th Sept would be amazing.

I've attached a map of the objectives which annotates the NZ Division.

The war diary is difficult to find but the narrative for September 1916 it begins here:

https://ndhadeliver.natlib.govt.nz/delivery/DeliveryManagerServlet?dps_pid=IE46809228

I've also attached another map Courtesy Trevor Pidgeon showing disposition of 2nd Otago and 2nd Auckland at the beginning of the battle.

BattleMapofFlers1916.jpg

IMG_20201121_110941[1] (2).jpg

The area covered by 2nd Battalion, starting at Dorset Trench in S. 11. c to Abbey Road in M. 36. b

image.png.77def00acf832735c524344a459907d6.png

and a photo taken from the NZ Memorial looking toward Flers over the area of advance.

IMG_20221020_151012.jpg