The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Military Medal Citation

mickgall

Hello all

Is it possible to find a citation for a military medal? I’ve tried having a look around but I’m not 100% sure what I’m doing. It’s my gt uncle William Leary cpl 350346 7 London Regt. I think he got presented with his in the field at Lechelle during an inspection by Div Commander Maj-Gen sir G.F.Gorringe. on the 24th Jan 1918. In the book of the regimental history he is mentioned several times. He was a stretcher bearer and I think he may have been in charge of them, and in the war diary and reg history there are a few lines about new arrivals being told to report to him at the reg aid post. I’ve attached his MiC and photo of a page from the history. Is it possible to find a citation for how he won his MM.

Many Thanks

Mick

30850_A000940-01553.jpg

80C6833F-0DC0-43AC-A684-D0C2C1EDBDBF.jpeg

Edited by mickgall

also on

Medal records | Imperial War Museums (iwm.org.uk)

Gallantry medals are awarded for an especially heroic deed or action. Announcements are listed in the official journal The London Gazette. For some but not all awards, there may also be a separate citation, which describes the action for which the award was made. There are no citations for awards of the Military Medal or Mentions in Despatches. Operational records or a published regimental/unit history might provide some details, although the individual may not be named. Newspapers may also include an account of the action although for security reasons key details such as locations and unit names are usually removed.

Page 3465 | Supplement 30585, 15 March 1918 | London Gazette | The Gazette

image.png

Edited by jonbem

Thanks for that Jonbem, explains why I can’t find anything

Mick

Given that his MM was in the 19 March 1918 LG, it was probably for the Battle of Cambrai in late Nov 1917. The 7th London Regt. was in that action.

The list of soldiers presented with ribbons in the regimental history implies that they were all for the same battle. The MC citations may give a clue.

Hello Ivor, thanks for the info. I was thinking maybe it was to do with Cambrai too,

Mick

Hi, I can't prove it yet, but I'm inclined to think the awards are for the 2 and 3 Dec 1917, when they took a lot of casualties.
Ivor's right, the annotated MC citations with dates would nail it down as would any DCM's.

Regards
Chris 

Thanks Chris, Ive got the war Diary so will have a look through for those dates

Mick

The National Archives' reference WO 389/5/3 - looks like at least some may be for Passchendale/Ypres:

(Palmer's MC is in a later LG. Not all the MMs are in the same LG).

15 minutes ago, Ivor Anderson said:

Capt. Lawrence Edward Bishop - MC citation: https://www.thegazette.co.uk/Edinburgh/issue/13226/page/1070

Bishop MC.jpg

Edited by Ivor Anderson

The MM for Pte. Christopher C. Foster 353351 7th London Regt - LG 19 Nov 1917: https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30389/supplement/11965

MM card shows 1/7th: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6160639

The MM of Pte. Wilfred Browning 350730 was in the 13 March 1918: https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30573/supplement/3228

MM card shows 1/7th: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6138476

Edited by Ivor Anderson
Additional Info

Hello again Ivor, thanks for all that info, it would have taken me ages trying to sort all that out.

Mick

3 hours ago, Ivor Anderson said:

Palmer's MC Bar is for Cambrai 2/3 Dec 1917 - poor NA image - WO-389-6_02

Palmer MC.jpg

Well done Ivor, given that Palmers MC is for 2/3.12.17 probably confirms the dates for the MMs.

2 hours ago, FlersChampagne said:

given that Palmers MC is for 2/3.12.17 probably confirms the dates for the MMs.

Hi Chris, The 3 MMs I've located are in different gazettes from Nov 1917 to March 1918, with differing RP nos.?

However, I does look likely that Leary's later MM was for 2/3rd Dec 1917.

Mick,

Not sure if you’re already aware of this, but there is a book called “The Long Carry” by Frank Dunham which is his diary of service as a stretcher bearer in the 1/7th London Regiment from 1916-18. Can’t find my own copy in the chaotic abyss that is my loft to see if William Leary gets a mention, but it may be a useful additional resource for your research.

Regards,

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Steve

Sorry for the late reply, Ill look that book up.

Mick