The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Shell case markings help

Mike123

Hi all any idea what this mark is ?

BSC-Bethlehem Steel Corporation 
CF-Charge loaded with cordoned/Full charge 18lb shell case and the crows foot mark but not sure about the other  marking if anyone could help that’s great thanksIMG_2115.png.2a677edb02f41bed36080e1d914e3988.pngIMG_2116.png.f9f23d4845afa986f60a915d294bbb81.png

The circle with opposing arrows is inspection stamp GAC 7, brazing stamp, indicating a split in the case to be repaired by brazing. It is barred out or cancelled when the repair has been carried out and accepted - as shown adjacent to the Fill stamps.

It is an interesting cartridge case for a change. It was made by the Winchester Repeating Arms Co. in the US, and repaired at least twice by Collins Ltd, Birmingham, with annealing omitted in both cases. The final repair might have been binned because of too big a split.

BSC alone is the monogram for Bethlehem; BSC followed by W in a circle is Winchester, sub-contracting to Bethlehem.

The 3/16 would suggest a March 1916 manufacture date.

*** just noticed that and said to my better half March 1916 thank you so much I can make my information label  and put in my collection on show 

And is that a Canadian primer, marked with their Broad Arrow.? Also looks to be an N.A. stamped on it ...

Cheers,  SS 

Hi all I have just bought another 2 shell casings when they come could you help with identifying them if I’m not sure please