The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Captain Simon William Richmond Mewburn: Tomb Effigy, Church at St. John Lee, near Hexham, Northumberland.

INW

image.jpeg.152330463fc9f8317f3dbe832247d31e.jpeg

The Mewburn Family's house was at Acomb, in the North Tyne Valley, below St John of Beverley's Church. The family commissioned the sculptor Clapperton to prepare this recumbent effigy after their son’s death. He died at Basra, Iraq where he was serving with the 14th Hussars.
The Northern Architectural History Society visited the church last Saturday and we nearly missed the effigy. It is placed behind a rood screen and a mustard velvet curtain, in a space it shares with a photocopier. I returned today to try and take some better photos.
His head rests on his saddle and his pith helmet is placed at his feet, every detail of the boots and the sword is carved with precision. The effigy is of the most extraordinary quality. The sculptor and this work should be better known. 

image.jpeg.121f10c5dd3d61b331c7f3a23fe17e37.jpeg

SIMON WILLIAM RICHMOND MEWBURN
Born 9th Sept. 1884 Gazetted 2nd Lt 14th (King's) Hussars 3rd Nov. 1903.
Promoted Captain 6th Aug. 1910, Killed In Action 21st May 1916.

image.jpeg.e6be002bb932b557f52204156fb3ee11.jpeg

image.jpeg.39829109e1a40333abfe478ad38ad0d5.jpeg

Photos in black and white, to subdue the mustard curtain.

Edited by INW
image duplicated

SWR MEWBURN: Pupil of Eton College

He is included in the List of Etonians who Fought in the Great War. I found this on archive.org

image.jpeg.d76a840a278fbcef14b9b95b24be49a5.jpeg

The Eton College Collection (digital archive) includes a portrait dated 1902 and a memorial plaque dated 1916.

image.jpeg.671e39f88439c1ecbe318ad0e7c27bce.jpeg

image.jpeg.a128979000f3132016f65460a933d666.jpeg

The 14th Hussars were in India when WWI started. SWR Mewburn was on leave in the UK and went to France assigned to another regiment of Hussars.

Many thanks INW for sharing these superb images.

It is a great shame when such memorials are hidden from general view, so very well done for spotting same and for taking these excellent photos and posting them here on the forum for all to see.

This effigy must rank among the finest such memorials that I have ever seen to a WW1 officer.

Best, Robert

On 06/09/2024 at 22:26, INW said:

The sculptor and this work should be better known.

Indeed. He is well known in the border lands of both England and Scotland, however his work is more frequently come across when north of the border

Excellent photographs; thanks

• Admin

On a par with the Kennington effigy of Lawrence at Wareham I’d say. 

• Admin

IMG_0431.jpeg

IMG_0428.jpeg

• Admin

Can only agree with what has been said.  I guess though it does not fit the 21st Century narrative of the C of E.

The war diary which can be downloaded from TNA if you have not already done so, has a detailed account of the action in which he was killed, although it does not state when, or how  he met his death during the skirmish, I dare say he was killed as his Company advanced on their objective. In all probability leading from the front.

Many thanks for sharing these images Michelle.

Although I have been in possession of one of Ned Lawrence's younger brothers medals, 2/Lt Frank Helier Lawrence, 3rd att'd 1st Bn Gloucestershire Regiment., who was killed in action at Richebourg L'Avou on the 9th May, 1915, age 22, for circa 30 years now, I was not previously aware of this memorial to Ned Lawrence at Wareham.

Best, Robert

Hi Phil,

Great to see that Eton College are maintaining traditions to the letter after circa 120 years.

The rower appears to be wearing exactly the same attire as that worn by Simon Mewburn in the 1902 image. What is the reason for the flower display atop his boater? Looks a tad awkward to say the least.

Best, Robert

Not being an Old Etonian myself (Grammar school boy!) maybe this helps:-

The ‘Fourth of June’ is a celebration of the birthday of King George III (1738-1820), Eton’s greatest patron. This year it is on 2nd June. Various events take place on this day but the most famous is ‘The Procession of Boats’, in which the best crews from the top four years row past in clinker built, fixed pin eights. They wear uniforms of eighteenth century midshipmen, with the cox dressed as an admiral. The rowers have boaters sporting the name of their boat on their hat-bands and the school arms in metal, all decorated with fresh flowers. At a certain point, the entire crew and cox stand up in the boat with their oars erect. They face Windsor Castle, remove their hats and cheer the memory of George III.

Many thanks Phil,

Wow! that is some tradition at almost 300 years!! Most interesting.

Best, Robert

Thanks for all your contributions, absolutely brilliant.

Information from the North East War Memorials Project

https://www.newmp.org.uk/detail.php?contentId=8501

There is also a stained glass window dedicated to SWR Mewburn in the same church.

Sculptor's name: Thomas J Clapperton

This sculpture was exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1922 (therefore completed well before the T W Lawrence one).

There are quite a few references here which I will follow up.

I am a Manchester Warehousemen and Clerks' Orphan School 'old boy', but my Godson went to Eton so I will follow up the traditions with him!

INW

Thomas J Clapperton appears to have WW1 service:-

“After serving in India during World War I, he produced the war memorials at Canonbie(1919); Earlston; Minto (1921-5); Galashiels (1923-7); and Selkirk (1922).”

I can only find that name as a private in the 331 Protection Company, Royal Defence Corps. Did they serve in India?

15 minutes ago, PhilB said:

Thomas J Clapperton appears to have WW1 service:-

“After serving in India during World War I, he produced the war memorials at Canonbie(1919); Earlston; Minto (1921-5); Galashiels (1923-7); and Selkirk (1922).”

With service in India, then he had something in common with his subject here, who served with the 14th Hussars sailing to India as a Lieutenant in September 1906

[see 'In Silent Fortitude' (In memory of the men of the North Tyne Valley who fell in the Great War) by Alan Isaac Grint, Ergo Press, 2011

I thought that, Michael, but thought it unlikely that Old Etonian cavalry officer Mewburn would move in the same circles as a RDC Protection Company private!

It is (literally for once) incredible that the sculptor can produce that from a block of stone when one false move can ruin the whole thing.😲

The Cost of the Sculpture is mentioned on the North East War Memorials Project website as 'reputably' being £5,000. 

The inflation page on the Bank of England's webpage calculates that would be worth £190,000 today.

NEWMP link in a post above.

INW

North East War Memorials Project

I have had an email discussion about the SWR Mewburn sculpture with Janet Brown the Chair of the NEWMP she responded with these words.

"This memorial is very unusual – it’s the only one I know of in the north east in the form of a full-scale sculpture of a known person.  The only other one I know of is “The Response” in Newcastle upon Tyne where the man leading is thought to be Sir George Renwick".

https://fabulousnorth.com/the-response/

The Response is protected by a Grade 1 listing by Historic England. The photograph below is clipped from website linked above.

image.jpeg.938991af850f47d473e6430ce7cf5fd9.jpeg

I have sent a detailed email to Historic England asking them to add the SWR Mewburn tomb to the St John Lee Church, Acomb listing notes.

I explained that whilst the church has a Grade II* listing the sculpture should be considered for a Grade I listing.

INW