The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Tonie Holt, R.I.P

Michelle Young

• Admin

I’ve just seen that Major Tonie Holt has died. I’m sure many of us have used his books ( co written with his wife)  and some people lucky enough to have been on tours with him and his wife Valmai. 
I stayed in the same  bed and breakfast as them at Frise many years ago. They were great company. 

Oh that is sad news, I certainly have used their books and guides, and toured with them. 

My condolences to his family :poppy:

Edited by Knotty

Sad news, indeed. Like many contributors to the Forum, I suspect, my first few Battlefield Tours were Holts', including one to the 70th anniversary commemorations of the First Day of the Somme and an early war tour, conducted by Tonie and Valmai themselves, in which my late father and I became the first relatives to visit the grave of my great-uncle, Jack Hone, at St Souplet Cemetery. I'd like to express my thanks to them for helping to kindle my interest in running trips to the battlefields myself and for all the pieces of assistance they gave through their books, maps and personal advice over more than thirty years of school and personal tours. 

Edited by Mark Hone

Yes its sad news. Many of us will know of Major and Mrs Holts Battlefield Tours later Holts Tours and the many books Tonie wrote about battlefields, postcards etc etc with his wife Valmai. I first came across Tonie and Valmai Holt as far back as 1980 because that is when I started collecting 'Old Bill' ie items connected to Bruce Bairnsfather and they were and still are regarded as the experts on him and his life having written his biography. I met them for the first time when they published the 2nd edition of their book 'The Best of Fragments from France' in 1983. A lovely couple. Did not start going on their battlefield tours until Sept 1987 and during my time travelling with Holts went on about 4 with T&V. My condolences to Valmai. Here they are consulting the register at Perth (China Wall) Cemetery at Zillebeke in 1992.

Holts TandV.jpg

I'm surprised that the news of Tonie Holt's death hasn't occasioned more comment on the Forum. The Holts played a pivotal role (some might argue the pivotal role) in the development of modern battlefield tourism.  I must admit that I haven't managed to find any more mention of it, apart from the text of a short address by Benoit Mottrie, Chairman of the Last Post Association, which the Association posted a few days ago, but seemingly dates back to 2nd July. 

https://lastpost.be/news/major-tonie-holt/#:~:text=Major Tonie Holt. 02/07/2024 - Speech by Benoit Mottrie, Chairman

Edited by Mark Hone

Thanks. The date on the Last Post Association website for Benoit Mottrie's speech, as I suspected, is clearly a mistake and it was in fact delivered a few days ago. 

Edited by Mark Hone