The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Unidentified Unit Badge

GBLeics

Can any expert offer a suggestion as to which regiment this badge belongs to please?

I've gone through Peter Glover's book and have had no success so I'm guessing that it's an 'Empire' unit??

Unidentified Badge.jpeg

Notts & Derby/sherwod foresters?

Jerry

That was my first thought but the proportions don't match the book image or other examples that I have seen. There is no crown and the scroll section aligns with the width of the centre section - the Sherwood badge doesn't look like that. Also, I dont think that it is a maltese cross although the angle and quality of the image may be deceptive

Regards

Gary

• Admin

Cinque Ports 5th Btn Royal Sussex Regiment. 

• Admin

Image ©️ IWM

IMG_1214.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Cinque Ports 5th Btn Royal Sussex Regiment. 

Thanks Michelle

It fits with the location of the photo so all is good

4 hours ago, GBLeics said:

Thanks Michelle

It fits with the location of the photo so all is good

You can also see the small T beneath his collar badge indicating a Territorial Force unit, which 5th Royal Sussex Regiment was. Issued in both brass and bronze finishes for use on different forms of dress, they were commonly worn even by units that did not favour regimental collar insignia.

IMG_7896.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

6 hours ago, GBLeics said:

Jerry

That was my first thought but the proportions don't match the book image or other examples that I have seen. There is no crown and the scroll section aligns with the width of the centre section - the Sherwood badge doesn't look like that. Also, I dont think that it is a maltese cross although the angle and quality of the image may be deceptive

Regards

Gary

My second thought, as it did not look totally correct was the cinque ports funnily enough.

A good result in your search

23 minutes ago, Jerry B said:

My second thought, as it did not look totally correct was the cinque ports funnily enough.

A good result in your search

I saw the Cinque Ports badge in the book but dismissed it as being unlikely due to rarity - I guess it shows that its best to judge everything on what you see

2 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

You can also see the small T beneath his collar badge indicating a Territorial Force unit, which 5th Royal Sussex Regiment was. Issued in both brass and bronze finishes for use on different forms of dress, they were commonly worn even by units that did not favour regimental collar insignia.

IMG_7896.jpeg

I didn't pick that as a 'T' but as with most things - once it is revealed to the eye it's impossible to miss!

28 minutes ago, GBLeics said:

I didn't pick that as a 'T' but as with most things - once it is revealed to the eye it's impossible to miss!

Yes they were tiny.  If you look at most of the TF highlanders, and many of the rifles units they have no collar badges, but just the little T on its own.

Edited by FROGSMILE

• Admin
59 minutes ago, GBLeics said:

I saw the Cinque Ports badge in the book but dismissed it as being unlikely due to rarity - I guess it shows that its best to judge everything on what you see

As I’m lucky enough to spend time around Aubers and the 1915 sector, I see a lot of these badges on headstones.