The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Mametz German Cemetery

jay dubaya

The CWGC information states this cemetery was near the crossing of the Fricourt to Maricourt and Mametz to Bray roads. This suggests an area near Mametz Halt and close to the communal cemetery… was this the German cemetery?

I’ve looked at the CoG-BR for Dantzig Alley Cemetery into which 12 British graves were concentrated post war from Mametz German Cemetery but cannot identify which they may be.

Any help or information locating this cemetery will be greatly appreciated.

J

Hei jay,

I had seen your PM about this, but I haven't had the time to look a bit closer into this (as I have some other obligations this week). I haven't found anything immediately though. I'll try to dig a bit deeper next week.

Jan

Thanks for the reply Jan. The IWM have an image of the cemetery taken by Brooks during July 1916 (Q 836). Alas there are no landmarks to suggest it’s location and my opinion is that it’s not the communal cemetery either.

I had some luck. The Germans describe the location of the cemetery as "between the railroad and the road Fricourt-Carnoy". That is indeed near the train stop (Halt on trench maps).

Jan

Attached is a German picture of one the graves (regimental history of RIR 111). Compare it to the IWM pic.

I believe it is the field south of the communal cemetery next to the D938 nowadays (then the railroad).

Jan

mametz.jpg

Many thanks for that Jan, your image certainly has more background detail to help locate the place. There are some June 1916 panoramas taken from British positions near Carnoy which may also help with exact location as they show the area around the Halt.

J