The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

German pouch

Steve1871

The two most common German Ammo pouches in Great War were the M.95 ( 1895) and the triple pouch for later. I think there were two or even three models of 1890’s ammo pouches. As you all know, massive amount of photos survive, on line, books, forums, ect.   The main way I always believed to identify 95’ pouches, besides the squared box, it also has four rivits centered in front, also on corners, seldom seen. It has a small thin aluminum frame for a divider in center, front to back, held by those rivits. Three stripper clips fit on each side, width way. This one I got, sold as a M.95 is different. 
Mine has only two rivits showing in front for a double devided pouch, believe clips are stacked front to back. Has a small steel plate in rear to reinforce the lid/flap.  I never seen one of these. Anyone have idea to model type?, different variant of the 95’?. It needs a good cleaning, leather is strong, very durable but surface is kind of “ gummy”, sticky, and other stuff. Will clean up great. Only marking is maker.           
( Weber & Wein————-?  Stuttgart)

IMG_4927.jpeg

IMG_4928.jpeg

IMG_4929.jpeg

IMG_4932.jpeg

IMG_4930.jpeg

IMG_4935.jpeg

IMG_4933.jpeg

This is a standard pattern M1895 ammo pouch. What you think of when citing the 4 rivets on the front and the metal inlay is a converted M88 into the M95 standard. For the M88 pouch, the cartridge packages were arranged horizontally/lengthwise, fitting only two packages. For the M95 pouch, they simply turned the packages 90° so now you have 3 packages "vertically" when looking into the pouch from above with only slightly more depth of the pouch.

Despite being commonly used in WW1, I've never seen one so far for sale in Germany. The Models 88, 87/88 and 09 are popping up from time to time. Would be nice to own one for taking exact measurements to reproduce them. I picked up leatherworking as a hobby this March for reproducing my own imperial bayo frogs and Kar98 slings; after posting them I got asked by a collegue if I could make some M95 pouches for them.

Edited by Sir Mortimer

Sir Mortimer

I have a lot of 1871 family pouches , 4 main variations, then the M.87, smaller very curved , still for the 11.15X60R   Ammo. It is very strange to me the 87/88. Wasting so much leather to start the production back up for the M.87 pouch in Great War by modifying the inside of pouch to add just 3 tracks for 3 only stripper clips. I got some of those, great to near new and dated 1915, 1916.  Here is photos from a closed, sold M.95, a little different in the 4 rivits  are set farther apart 

IMG_5139.jpeg

IMG_5140.jpeg

IMG_5141.jpeg

IMG_5142.jpeg

Steve

that is a perfect example of a "front pouch" M88 as it is depicted in my reference books depicting them. There was also a "rear pouch" M88 that was worn below the rucksack.

Edited by Sir Mortimer

Another “ unknown type” different inside, from another “ sold” item. I think they are both different variations of M.95?

IMG_5147.jpeg

IMG_5146.jpeg

IMG_5145.jpeg

Thank you very much Sir Mortimer, I desperately need that reference book, even if it is in German. What is the name and if you could, ISBN # for me to search for it??? Great, clear detailed photos!!

My pouch does not fit either the M.88 or M.95, no cut outs for gripping the clips, but close, so mine still a mystery??

Steve

I mentioned the book a few times for everything related to the Mauser 71 to the Mauser 98 systems: 

The books in question are these: https://www.militaria.at/Search.aspx?Author=Storz&Title=&ISBN=&Content=&languages=en,

You can order directly from the publisher website, ISBNs are also included if you click on a book.

They're all from Dieter Storz. The ammo pouches for the rifles pre-Mauser 98 are all in Vol.2 of "German Military Rifles"

The "Rifle and Carbine 98" has the M95 pouch depicted as well, since it was used for the Gewehr 98 before the introduction of the M09 pouches.

Your pouch is definitely a standard M95 version. The cut outs are on the side, like they should be on a 95 model. The pull out tab in the middle is missing unfortunately.

Another book that has only ammo pouches as topic (unfortunately only in german) is "Patronentaschen, Patronengürtel und Banduliere 1850-1950" by Alfred Kruk. ISBN: 3-00-005396-4

Would you be so kind and measure your pouch for me? I can let you know the spots I need by hand drawing(s) if necessary.

Edited by Sir Mortimer

Thanks Sir Mortimer. 
Since I in the truck ( truck driver) most of the time, very little room to haul around a bunch of books. I actually have those books in storage somewhere, but thank you for the info. Will measure the cartridge box in a day or two, when I get back to the yard/ terminal

You are still a great help, thanks

You're welcome, and also thanks for your help with the measurements! I sent you a PM.