The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

FA MK V TELESCOPE 1914

john doyle

I am restoring a FA MK V telescope made by Troughton & Simms. The leather work on straps needs replacement. Does anyone have any photographs of an original or one restored correctly?   

John

image.png.b21b0881018f846739e4c784d77efcc0.png

26 minutes ago, john doyle said:

Thanks Tom. I am trying to replace the leather straps on the scope and between the 3 legs. But they have perished and I am trying to obtain lengths etc. Thanks for your help on the other pictures

image.png.b21b0881018f846739e4c784d77efcc0.png

The tripod and the telescope have different model numbers. In the 1914 Artillery instrument handbook they detail the Telescope Field Artillery Mk IV and the Stand Mk I.

My example of the Stand is a Mk II with a Mk V telescope. The extract from the manual:

image.png.5bf08292f13c5d1a983dcce0e36dea8a.png

And details of the chain that holds the tripod legs at equal spacing

image.jpeg.66bcb3d0d13fd90c39593068dd3dbb42.jpeg

As you can see, each of the three lengths of brass chain is 17cm long and attaches to the brass ring on the leg of the tripod

The leather strap on the tripod is as follows

image.jpeg.19d426612fd9bcbea72d2141f47f9f50.jpeg

image.jpeg.d5e164d74fe99e0f851fb1939fd3bcb9.jpeg

It did not photograph clearly but the inner disk is labelled "FIELD ARTY TEL STAND Mk II"

I should also comment, you appear to be missing the three extensions for the tripod legs.

That is superb information and answers all my questions. I do have the extensions for the tripod legs. The leather on the scope is brittle, but retainable I think. The leather straps (various) are shot and wouldn't function if used so I will have some made to match and keep the old parts. So only a light touch restoration. I will send a picture when done.

Thanks again

John   

Good luck, I hope all goes well.