The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Dover Hospital

Derek Tickner

My Grandad was injured out of the war on the 14th July 1918. He had an artillery accident which resulted in a compound fracture (4) of the Tibia/Fibula. Possibly crushed. He was transported to the CCS (3rd Field Ambulance), at Le Bac du Sud, where they amputated his leg. He was then transported back with the 42nd Ambulance Train back to the UK. He was discharged in March 1919 from Dover I've got all the way through his war with his Battery using the HAG Diaries. I'm now stuck on where the hospitals are in or around Dover where he would have convalesed and fitted with his prostetic limb

Many thanks

Derek

is that Dover Heights Hospital?

Hi Padrenick, I've  no idea, my friend. I have looked on the LLT and no mention of Dover. Though Google has come up with a lot about the Dover Hieghts Hospital which should keep me quiet for some time. Many thanks for your help

Edited by Derek Tickner

You are welcome  Often they were taken from hospital ships straight to Dover Heights hospital 

Are you referring to the Western Heights Military Hospital?

M.

yes my mistake western heights

It may possibly be listed as the Archcliffe (Military) Hospital / Barracks Hospital, Dover. 

After 1915 a dedicated facility for limb fittings was available at Roehampton,  and he may have been sent there: https://ezitis.myzen.co.uk/queenmaryroehampton.html

sJ

Archcliffe Fort is but one of the many old military installations surrounding Dover. The main fortification high on the Western Heights was the Citadel and outside of that the Grand Shaft Barracks and Military Hospital were later constructions. Archcliffe Fort is at the very lower end of the Western Heights, overlooking Shakespeare Beach.

M.

was it known as Western Heights Hospital?

I couldn’t tell you for sure what the name in the door was, I’ve seen it referred to as the Military Hospital, Dover, and also as the Garrison Hospital. Unlike many war hospitals, it was a purpose built military hospital in existence prior to the outbreak of the Great War. The buildings were demolished in the early 1960’s. I understand that it had substantial capacity (500 beds) and that during the war, an overflow facility was also created on the Western side of Dover (Duke of York’s).

After being triaged on arrival from the hospital ships in Dover Harbour, casualties were distributed to a wide number of hospitals throughout Kent and London. Those unable to be moved were generally hospitalised in the immediate area.

M.

IMG_2950.jpeg

Edited by KizmeRD

Thanks for this I have a reason for being interested this is Where 2nd Lt Lack died in 1916  See his death certificate 

reginald lack death certificate.pdf

Thanks kizmeRD for the info, so as an amputee he would have been at Dover Heights rather than transferred to other hospitals?

Whatever its official name, it certainly wasn’t ‘Dover Heights’.

It was the Military (Garrison) Hospital, located at Western Heights in Dover.

The decision where to send him would have been based on several factors - what his specific injury was, how severe it was (ability to be transported) and what medical facilities happened to have capacity available. He probably could have ended up in any number of medical facilities. There were at least two alternatives for him locally in Dover, one in Folkestone and one in Deal and others in Canterbury and Chatham (and across Kent), plus the fact that Dover Harbour train station had fast/direct links to London (which obviously had many more options).

M.

thanks everyone   I am assuming Lt Lack was sent there because of his spinal injury the got on 1st July 1916. Sadly I think the post mortem was done at the hospital because the family told me he died coming off the hospital ship