The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Deolali Government Cemetery Visiting

Bryant Edhouse

Hi, I am visiting India in November & intend visiting Deolali Government Cemetery to pay respects to my relative Staff Nurse Emily Clare of the Australian Army Nursing Service, I believe the only Australian & woman interred there.

Have any members visited this cemetery?

Are the individual memorials well marked with headstones or crosses 

Are there any issues gaining permission for access through the military camp entrance on the day I visit?

Is it viable to visit the cemetery from Mumbai by car & return in one day, I intend hiring a driver for the day? I only have one day to make the trip.

Any other information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I don’t want to travel all the way to India & not take the opportunity to pay my respects to someone who sacrificed their life so far from home. Thanks in advance.

Her details CWGC https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/1498814/emily-clare/

Cemetery details https://www.cwgc.org/visit-us/find-cemeteries-memorials/cemetery-details/5001697/deolali-government-cemetery/ which says "It is about 175 kilometres north-east of Mumbai, a journey which takes approximately 4 hours by road". Also mentions access requirements etc. and "Most of the CWGC graves are located on the right hand side of the cemetery entrance gate".

Maureen

1 hour ago, MaureenE said:

Her details CWGC https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/1498814/emily-clare/

Cemetery details https://www.cwgc.org/visit-us/find-cemeteries-memorials/cemetery-details/5001697/deolali-government-cemetery/ which says "It is about 175 kilometres north-east of Mumbai, a journey which takes approximately 4 hours by road". Also mentions access requirements etc. and "Most of the CWGC graves are located on the right hand side of the cemetery entrance gate".

Maureen

Hi, Thanks for your input, I have seen the CWGC web page information, it would be interesting to hear from someone who has made the trip & their experience. I have only been allowed the one day, it would be disappointing to embark on the 8 hour return trip only to be unable to gain access or locate a marked grave in the cemetery.🍻

6 hours ago, Bryant Edhouse said:

Hi, I am visiting India in November & intend visiting Deolali Government Cemetery to pay respects to my relative Staff Nurse Emily Clare of the Australian Army Nursing Service, I believe the only Australian & woman interred there.

Have any members visited this cemetery?

Are the individual memorials well marked with headstones or crosses 

Are there any issues gaining permission for access through the military camp entrance on the day I visit?

Is it viable to visit the cemetery from Mumbai by car & return in one day, I intend hiring a driver for the day? I only have one day to make the trip.

Any other information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I don’t want to travel all the way to India & not take the opportunity to pay my respects to someone who sacrificed their life so far from home. Thanks in advance.

You would be well advised to seek the counsel of the nearest Australian Consulate before embarking on such a venture: https://india.highcommission.gov.au/ndli/contact-us.html

10 minutes ago, PhilB said:

Trip Advisor has some interesting reviews of Deolali Camp.

Thanks, I will check that out, found some videos on Youtube of the camp all in Hindi, but interesting 

10 minutes ago, knittinganddeath said:

@Zaheer Ameer maybe you have some advice?

Thanks for that, I have followed his posts over time & have messaged. I have not seen him posting for a while, hoping for a response.  
👍🍻

1. Are the individual memorials well-marked with headstones or crosses?
    Yes, most of the graves are marked with either headstones or crosses. However, due to a lack of maintenance, some graves have unfortunately deteriorated or disappeared over time.

2. Are there any issues gaining permission for access through the military camp entrance on the day of my visit?
    Yes, there are a few formalities required for access. I will assist you with these arrangements to ensure a smooth entry to the cemetery.

3. Is it feasible to visit the cemetery from Mumbai by car and return in the same day?
    Yes, it is quite feasible to make the round trip in a day. I can help coordinate transportation, including arranging a driver for pickup and drop-off from Mumbai Airport to Deolali and back.

4. Any additional information or suggestions?
    I will make sure to be available on the day of your visit to assist you personally. Prior to your arrival, I will coordinate with the Army personnel to ensure there are no complications with your visit.

Please feel free to reach out if you have any further questions or need assistance with planning your trip. I look forward to helping you pay respects to your relative who sacrificed so much for her country.

Kind regards,
Zaheer Ameer 
Direct: 
Email: ZaheerDOTamir7ATgmailDOTcom