The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Strange gear found in English front line trenches

Flavio

Hi guys, today little excursion with the metal detector in the English area. Found little, an English pickaxe, some 303 shells, And three pieces: a weblay-london flare gun caseback, , a cap from the Austrian Stiehl hand grenade and a strange gear with a small pinion in the center, it almost looks like a gear multiplier. Does anyone know how to recognize it and, if so, in what context did it go?

Thank you all Flavio 

IMG-20240915-WA0004.jpeg

Edited by Flavio

Can you please tell us what the diameter of the gear ring is. Also, although I can make out the 'FY London' on the righthand object, is there any other letters that can be seen?

If it helps, all this was found at a Lewis or Vickers machine gun outpost captured during the attack on 15 June 1918

Ps

It seems like a gear that was supposed to support a very robust movement, because the thickness of the piece and the shape of the wheel teeth suggest this

Edited by Flavio

Eley of London were an ammunition maker and the item with their name on it could be a cartridge case or a (Mk V) percussion tube used to ignite a bagged cartridge in a British so-called Breech Loading (BL) artillery piece (BL 6-Inch Howitzer, BL 8-Inch Howitzer, etc). In these pieces, rather than using a brass cartridge case, the propelling charge was contained in a silk bag and was ignited by a percussion tube (officially called a 'Tube, Percussion, S. A. Cartridge') inserted into the rear of the breech. 

Either way, it does not look as though this item is connected to the other two items. I am not an expert but the other two items might be part of a clockwork mechanism?

Edited by Spaceman

In the meantime, thanks for your input As regards the object you described, in my opinion it is the bottom of a pressed cardboard cartridge case for the English signal flare gun, there in that place it is already the third one that I have found, the sheet metal piece is the final part of the handle of the Austrian potato masher. As for the gear, too large in thickness even for a table clock