The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Ehrenmal des bayrischen Offizierskorps

charlie2

85 years after the publication of the „Ehrenmal des preußischen Offizier-Korps“ in which Generaloberst v. Brauchitsch hoped that similar works would be published for the other German states, the „Ehrenmal der Gefallenen des bayrischen Offizierskorps“ has been published.

In my opinion its a first class publication for those interested in the German Army. The information that has been collated by Karl Jürgen Reif and Laurent Schneider is contained in three hardback volumes and records the casualties in alphabetical order, the cause and date of death, decorations, civilian profession and when known their place of burial. There is also an interesting statistical chapter.

As it is published privately it has been limited to a low 2 number print run. I suspect it will be a much sought after work in years to come.

http://www.wk-1.de
Charlie

IMG_5790.jpeg

IMG_5787.jpeg

The website doesn't seem to work (or at least this book doesn't seem to be mentioned). It does seem quite some achievement to have done this. Do you know what sources they used to find the names of all fallen officers?

One remark that I have is that they seem to mention the current burial place and not the original burial place (which in most cases is mentioned in the Kriegsstammrollen and Kriegsranglisten). I don't like the mention "ruht auf dem deutschen Soldatenfriedhof X, Kameradengrab" which is in a lot of cases incorrect. It should be "remembered at this and thais Kameradengrab" as its is often not certain that the person is buried there.

Jan

Edited by AOK4

2 hours ago, AOK4 said:

The website doesn't seem to work (or at least this book doesn't seem to be mentioned). It does seem quite some achievement to have done this. Do you know what sources they used to find the names of all fallen officers?

He only received the books from the printers at the end of last week, so I presume he hasn‘t had chance to update the website. The books can be ordered using the contact facility on the website. The sources used are listed at the end of volume 3.

Charlie

IMG_5791.jpeg

4 minutes ago, charlie2 said:

He only received the books from the printers at the end of last week, so I presume he hasn‘t had chance to update the website. The books can be ordered using the contact facility on the website. The sources used are listed at the end of volume 3.

Charlie

Thanks for the info. What's the price?

1 minute ago, AOK4 said:

What's the price?

For all 3 volumes 75€ including postage and packing.